Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kntryhuman

Tiny Purple/Rose colored Rose

kntryhuman
13 years ago

Does anyone know what this rose is? I took a cutting off a bush that looked more like a shrub about 4' tall. It was covered in these tiny roses and buds. Each rose is about 1 3/4" across.

Most of the roses are a lavender/purple color but others are more of a rosy color. They are all on the same stem.

Comments (11)

• petaloid
    13 years ago

I like your photo and I wish we could see some of the leaves too, to help with the ID.

This may be an old rose variety called Vielchenblau. That's my best guess, anyway.

I'll put a link below to a description, and if you click on the "photos" tab at the top of the listing, you will find many pages of pictures:

Here is a link that might be useful: Vielchenblau listing on HelpMeFind

• kntryhuman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'll try to get some leaf pics. This rose has no smell and isn't a climber. It also has thorns but not to the extent where the entire limb is covered in them.

• kntryhuman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here are a couple of pics of the leaves.

• petaloid
    13 years ago

More good closeups -- thanks! The foliage does resembles the linked HelpMeFind photos. Seven-leaflet leaves, shiny, somewhat elongated.

Vielchenblau is nearly thornless and you say this one has few thorns. I have seen it grow much larger than the plant you described, but that specimen was well cared for in a public garden.

I hope some others will chime in soon, since several here are experts on the old garden roses.

• hartwood
    13 years ago

These pics and the description (other than the climbing part) sure look like Veilchenblau. Ramblers and Polyanthas share the same parentage in some cases early on ... that's why they used to be called 'baby ramblers'. The only problem is that I can't think of a Polyantha that's purple.

Connie

• hartwood
    13 years ago

Is this a rose that you have known for more than just this year? Could this be Veilchenblau that someone cut back?

Connie

• kntryhuman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This rose is at a health food store. It's the first time I've noticed it. It was there when the owner bought the house. I'll ask if she cut it back. It sure doesn't resemble a climber because the base is probably 2' across (individual canes, not 1 stem) and it "fans" out at the top.

I'll try to stop by and get a pic tonight.

• hartwood
    13 years ago

It sure doesn't resemble a climber because the base is probably 2' across (individual canes, not 1 stem) and it "fans" out at the top.

That's how ramblers renew themselves ... they produce new canes from the base, and will eventually make a make a dense thicket. This is different from 'suckers' because the rambler's new canes are not on runners away from the base of the rose.

Connie

• kntryhuman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This is the bush. The solid green bush to the rear left is not part of the rose bush.

• collinw
    13 years ago

Looks like Vielchenblau to me. It has probably been cut back, as others have suggested.

• kntryhuman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I've been trying to make cuttings from this rose without success.

Can anyone give me some hints on how to propagate this one?