Houzz Logo Print
tnangela

An Obvious Antique- anyone recognize?

tnangela
15 years ago

Comments (4)

• User
    15 years ago

Not enough information. Does it repeat? Is there fragrance, and if so, describe it? How large a plant is this? Is it a climber, a shrub or ? How thorny is it, and what shape are the thorns? How large are these blooms? All of this information is needed to properly identify a rose, especially if its a semi-double pink, of which there are hundreds.

• olga_6b
    15 years ago

Leaves look too glossy to be any old european antique, looks more like modern variety to me. What zone you are in?
    Olga

• tnangela
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Alright. Zone 6b/7a. Several years ago I kept an eye out for species roses and had noticed this rose in bloom near a landscaping job. The clients house was the closest thing to this rose but was still rather far from it. This rose was out in the woods with the nearest house some 10-20 acres away. I found it growing under complete wood cover and the trees were rather old. I broke a branch and rooted three plants of it. It is once blooming and will bloom and grow under complete shade and roots readily.

• olga_6b
    15 years ago

In this case it can be a seedling of any rose (modern or old) planted by birds :). It is not unusual for modern roses to give once blooming seedlings, so many genes mixed in them. Leaves are too glossy for any gallica, damask, ets.
    Olga