Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
persis100

Mystery rose in Berkeley

Persis100
9 years ago

This is a found rose from a fenced-in, vacant lot in Berkeley, California. Last year I walked by the lot, looking for a shop near there, and saw the rose. My first reaction was, "What is that??" The plant, tall and spreading, was covered with large white blooms. The rose looked like it hadn't been fed, watered, or pruned in decades. Yet there it was in the empty lot, blooming its heart out.

If I had to guess, I would say this rose is an early hybrid tea with a strong lean to its tea rose parent, maybe dating from 1910-1920. The house next door was built in 1910. The plant is about 10 ft high, 8 ft wide, very twiggy and vigorous in its growth. The rose blooms almost constantly. I've watched it since April of last year, and it has had blooms on it for every month except January of this year.

The blooms are large and double, ivory white with a yellow base, sometimes with a blush that fades as it opens. The outer petals may be streaked carmine. The blooms are globular, with a loose shape when open, and rolled back petals. This rose has few thorns or prickles. The scent is moderate, but sweet and herbaceous, and at its most intense it smells just like sweet tobacco.

From my research I thought this rose might be Mrs. Herbert Stevens (hybrid tea, McGredy, 1910). However, two rosarians have viewed cuttings and have said No. This rose is still unidentified. Do you know what it is?

More pix below.

Comments (7)