Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raee_gw

rose under maple tree

This rose has been here long before I owned the house (which is over 16 years). It has popped up under the lilacs, and it's also in the neighbor's yard, although we don't know if that is a volunteer. Seems to like the dry shade (but it does get late afternoon sun). Any ideas what it is? I am trying to show a picture of the shrub before it has leafed out, and 2 shots of the bloom. The color is pretty true. Thorns are small & sparse, & it is very disease resistant. Blooms for about 2 weeks in May (now).

Here is a link that might be useful: mystery rose

Comments (9)

• lionheart_gw (USDA Zone 5A, Eastern NY)
    15 years ago

Hi,

What a pretty rose! I'm not familiar with this particular rose, but considering how vigorous it is, it might be an Old Garden rose.

Is it fragrant?

If you don't get an answer soon (this forum can be slow sometimes) try the forum linked below.

Cheers!

Here is a link that might be useful: Antique Roses Forums

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for your response, lionheart. It does have scent, what I think of as a true rose scent, but not terrifically strong.
    I will post over on the other forum, too.

• hartwood
    15 years ago

I found a similar rose two years ago, under the same circumstances. Mine was growing out of a patch of poison ivy, climbing up an oak tree.

Take a look at the photos of my rose in my Photobucket album. If the leaves and buds are the same, I think you can safely say that your rose is Shailer's Provence. (We positively identified mine two weekends ago at Tufton.)

Connie

Here is a link that might be useful: Shailer's Provence

Original Author
    15 years ago

If it is not Shailer's Provence, it could not be any more like! Thanks, Connie! I have wondered about it all these years.

How did you reach an ID, by the way?

Here is a shot of the plant in full bloom:

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1222401}}

• hartwood
    15 years ago

You asked, so here's the story:

I snipped a bloom of this rose and put it in my shirt pocket in a florist tube when I got dressed to go to my rose society meeting two weeks ago. After the meeting, I dropped in on Robert's open garden to see his roses in full bloom. (Beautiful!!) I showed him my rose, and he felt that it was just like the Shailer's Provence he grows. We compared it to the one in his garden, and both of us were sure enough to tentatively say that we'd identified it. I even took home a piece of his bush that had broken off, just to compare it to the bush I have here.

The next weekend was the Saturday in the Garden lectures at Tufton Farm, and I brought along a flower to see if I could match it to their Shailer's Provence. Mine matched each example I found, so I'm confident enough to say definitively that I have solved this mystery.

With my rose, there are very few thorns and even the 2-year-old canes are green. I'm used to rose canes turning brown as they age, so I thought this would be a useful observation.

I love the bush photo you posted! Mine is probably growing in a bit too much shade -- I found it under a tree, so I planted it by a tree. I plan to leave the original one where it is, and I'll put a few more that I'm starting from cuttings in other places in the garden. I love this rose.

Connie

P.S. The bloom I had in my pocket impressed the HT crowd at the rose society meeting when it was just a mystery OGR. I can't be sure whether I'm winning any of them over from the exclusively-modern-roses camp, but I'll keep trying.

Original Author
    15 years ago

How lucky for me this chain of events! That I should post just after you had fortuitously identified yours, and that you would see & respond. Yes, I agree about the green canes, & they never get very thick. I did wonder if it might be a sport of the wild roses that grow around here.

I love roses but grow very few, since my most of yard is quite wet Feb-June and few areas get 6 hours of sun, among other reasons. I particularly appreciated this rose because it definitely does not get 6 hours (there is another large tree immediately to its south--the rest of the bed around it is all hosta, pulmonaria & fern!) & is so reliable & disease free. Have you noticed, the japanese beetles ignore it also, even while they are decimating my other roses? I wonder that breeders aren't interested in using it since it has so many desirable traits, even though it is a once bloomer (assuming that they are not).

Enjoy! Raee

• crunchykitten_charter_net
    12 years ago

Definitely looks like Shailer's- if you have the room, it's certainly worth growing. It's a common found rose; the late great rosarian Leonie Bell helped me identify mine more than 30 years ago, found in north Texas. Lee thought it to be a China hybrid, probably an Old Blush X some unknown centifolia. Like all China hybrids, Shailer's is sterile and useless for breeding programs. If your rose sets hips, it's not Shailer's.

Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, now I am going to have to go out and look to be sure, but I don't recall it ever having hips.

but then, where did the new volunteer come from? It bloomed this year, so I am sure it is the same rose.

Raee

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

It could be a sucker. Some roses will send up a new plant from the roots many feet away from the main plant.

Sponsored
Craftsman Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Home Builder 3x Best of Houzz Award Winner