Return to the Name That Rose Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mislabeled Lavendar Pinnochio

Posted by TNY78 7a-East TN (My Page) on
Fri, May 4, 12 at 23:29

I purchased "Lavendar Pinnochio" last year from Heirloom, and it never bloomed all season. This spring it finally bloomed, but I believe it is mislabeled. After I purchased it last year, I read some posts about how it was one of the worst roses to try to grow ownroot, but mine appeared to be healthy and vigorous...now I know why.

I really like the blooms on this rose, I just wish I knew what it was! I'm thinking maybe some kind of gallica...any thoughts?

Tammy

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mislabeled Lavendar Pinnochio

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Mon, May 7, 12 at 0:26

Oh, Tammy, it's lovely but it's certainly NOT Lavender Pinocchio, lol! Have you talked to Heirloom? Maybe they would be able to ID it for you knowing what stock they carry. From the bloom form and the leaf shape it looks like an OGR of some kind to me.

o

• Posted by TNY78 7a-East TN (My Page) on
    Mon, May 7, 12 at 7:16

Thanks Seil, it is lovely! I emailed Heirloom Saturday...I'll report back with what they say :) I looked through their site, but didn't get very far.

o

Mon, May 28, 12 at 20:57

WEll, I emailed Hairloom twice and they never got back to me, so I still need some help on this one :) Thanks!

o

When I look at the heirloom roses website and filter for red rose, I see at least 5 that yours could be. Why not have a look and compare? (Or, would you call that purple?)
http://www.heirloomroses.com/roses.html?color=76&limit=all

Is yours fragrant? Thorns? Growth habit?

o

Sat, Jun 2, 12 at 19:37

Thanks cupofcoffee...I did brouse through their website, but I looked only at OGRs. Its more of a purple than a red to me (I know cameras kind of alter the color a bit). The rose that I have which is most similar is The Bishop, but its still not the same rose (plus I didn't see it on Heirloom's website).

The growth habit after one year is short and bushy (similar to that of Rosa Mundi which I planted around the same time). Its about 1ft tall, VERY healthy, and seems to like being own root. I didn't take a sniff when it was blooming so I can't say if its fragrent. So far it seems to be once blooming (never bloomed last year, and doesn't show any signs of throwing up more buds again this year..so far). Thorns are short and bristley...

I think I'll take another look through their website and see if it gives me any ideas...

o

Fisherman's Friend, Othello and Red Eden might be ones on the Heirloom site to check for a match. Best of luck.

o

Dont think it is Red Eden. I have her in my garden and the bloom is thicker and without the center like the one in your photo. Quite lovely, Othello seems a better guess.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Rose Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here