Return to the Name That Rose Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help with rose species

Posted by sheadeknight Zone 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 18, 07 at 0:06

A few years ago I planted a rose bush that, sadly, did not survive. Last spring/summer I cut the poor thing down to the ground, but noticed that some stems were starting to grow! It did not bloom once last year, but this spring has just gone crazy - I counted 23 buds yesterday morning. One (or 3) finally opened today and I do not believe that this is what I planted - but I don't know what they are. The bloom is very lightly fragranced, it's quite thorny and does not seem to be a climber. I've had to tie a few stems to a dowel. Any help identifying this bush so I can properly care for it would be greatly appreciated!

Image link: Need help with rose species (31 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help with rose species

I have the same rose but I can't remember what it is call as well. I do remember it is grown on a ruga(sp) root. I have to watch mine all the time for it suckers alot. Yes it is a very thorny rose and the suckers are even more thorny.

janice

o

Your original rose was grafted, and the variety (not species) of the rootstock is Dr. Huey. Dr. Huey is a once-blooming climber. It might not have climbing tendencies in your zone because of the dieback during the winter. Your choice on whether to keep it, most people don't, but some do.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dr. Huey photos at Helpmefind.com

o

I am in your boat :o)
Just had the same thing happen to 2 of my HT's and maybe even 3 more, (wont know until the buds open).
I moved both Dr. Huey but neither made the move. I lost them.
To fill the spots I purchased OWN ROOT roses. When an own root dies back to the ground, should it live, it will be the same rose rather than some other rose.
I wouldn't have minded Dr. Huey had they been planted in a place for a climber. I think he is a pretty old rose.
I was told not to plant the new rose in the exact same place as Dr. Huey was in, I guess if you do not get all the roots he can come back up and take over your new rose.
The Lioness

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Rose Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here