Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boisenoise

Please help ID purple striped moss rose

boisenoise
16 years ago

This is a purple/ crimson rose with small flowers. The flowers are a little darker/ more deeply colored than my photos show. Flowers are quite small, and petals are faintly striped (this actually shows up better in the photo than in real life!) I believe this is a moss rose, although the moss is somewhat scant.

I could not get a good photo of the shrub, because it is growing in amongst other roses, and in photos they all tended to blend together. The shrub is small, and very lax, even tending towards prostrate.

This rose is growing at the Idaho Botanical Garden; the IBG has lost the names of many of its roses due to poor record-keeping, and would like to correct this problem, but the identitiy of many of the roses has been lost. I would love to hear from anyone who recognizes this one! Thanks so much!

Comments (7)

• boisenoise
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I took a closer look at this rose today, and think it may be a gallica rather than a moss. The growth habit is similar to my 'Tuscany Superb.' I pulled one flower apart to do a petal count . . . 148! Every petal had that mottled coloring. The flower was about 2 inches accross and had no appreciable fragrance (but then, I don't have as strong a sense of smell as most people).

• User
    16 years ago

I don't see any mossing there.....what makes you think its a Moss? I think its a Gallica (but not 'Tuscany Superb' which rarely has more than 35 petals). There are dozens of Gallicas still around, and many of them are very similar in appearance, so its hard to get an ID on many of them. Sorry, no idea.

Paul

• boisenoise
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It is probably not a moss . . . I have a hard time seeing moss even on roses that I know are classified as mosses (like 'Salet'), so I probably imagine it where it doesn't exist! This rose was planted in the section of the garden that was supposed to contain mosses and gallicas, and it does have little red bumps on the underneaths of the buds that seem to be made of something like resin and have a strong, turpentiney smell that transfers to fingers when you touch them. That's why I originally thought it was probably a "moss." At the very least, it is information that might help someone to be able to identify it.

• User
    16 years ago

Yor dappled rose reminds me just a bit of Cramoisi picote for the dapple stripe. Including a link to mnay gallica photos

Here is a link that might be useful: Gallicas

• boisenoise
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have a hard time getting my camera to focus on buds, but here's a closer shot:{{gwi:286629}}

• boisenoise
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Anyway, see those tiny red bristles on the bud? That's why I thought it might be a moss! Labrea, thanks for the link. Wow! That's kind-of discouraging. Now I know what I'm up against! I'll get through that whole list eventually, though! The coloring on the 'Cramoisi Picote' does look about right, but the flower form looks different to me. (By the way, my most recent photo above isn't quite the right color, at least on my Safari browser. It's a bit washed-out.)

• boisenoise
    Original Author
    16 years ago

After having spent HOURS poring through photos & descriptions, etc., the closest match I've run across so far is 'Robert le Diable.' Yeah, I know, forget what I said about this rose's possibly being a moss or a gallica!

Do any of you grow 'Robert le Diable'? GST's description seems to fit: he calls it "lax, almost procumbent" and says that it is an atypical centifolia [hey, doesn't centifolia mean "one hundred petals"? That would fit the 148 petal count that I got!] that "probably has Gallica derivation." He also says that 'Robert le Diable' has "an amazing number of tints" in its flowers, and "develops its most arresting colours in dry, hot weather." (YEAH! That's Boise!) So, what do you think? Anybody?