Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shirley_gw

Need help identifying seedling rose

Shirley
18 years ago

I would really appreciate your help in identifying a seedling rose. Several years ago two seedlings appeared near an area where some Austin roses (Graham Thomas, Abraham Darby, Glamis Castle and Mary Rose) had been planted a year before (and before that, the area was a lawn). I had purchased these Austin roses from Wayside Gardens, and I was told that the rootstock was Manettii. This is the first year I have noticed any blooms, and they do not look like the pictures IÂve seen of Manettii (and as I mentioned, these were seedlings, not suckers). The blooms are just delightfulÂa small, delicate, semidouble pink bloom that smells like baby powder. I have checked various a few rose reference materials and have not found any pictures or descriptions which match these roses.

The plants are about four feet in height, with thin, slightly arching canes that are no more than about ¼" in diameter, which are thickly covered with small thorns; there are a few new canes appearing whose thorns are a bit larger and spaced a bit further apart.

The blooms appear both singly or in small clusters, and are cupped. The blooms measure between 1-1/4" and 1-1/2". When the bloom is completely finished, it fades to nearly white.

Please have a look at some pictures IÂve posted at the site below. This rose is too sweet not to have a name!

TIA

Shirley

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos of unidentified seedling rose

Comments (5)