Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gairmo

Jackson & Perkins rose test panel... (x-posted)

gairmo
13 years ago

Here's the message I posted on the "Roses" forum...maybe someone here can help. I'm pretty sure I've tried to search for any patents, but I'm not sure I'm doing it correctly.

Hello all,

I'm pretty sure that I lurked on this forum years and years ago, some of your names are still familiar!

Anyway, I have a question about the Jackson and Perkins rose test panel.

During the 90s, I was head over heels about roses. I love fragrant roses and unique colors, and I had collected quite a few. About this same time, two of my friends gifted me with a test panel of roses from Jackson and Perkins.

Not long after planting these roses, I went back to work full time. Between my new job and my small kids, my garden suffered tremendously, most of my beloved roses eventually died. And I must admit, I did not follow through with the documentation of the roses' progress back to Jackson & Perkins.

Three of my original four test panel roses from J & P did survive however. They were in a flower bed that got regular water from automatic sprinklers and I did manage to prune them once a year...they are truly amazing! It seems like the more I ignored and abused these roses, the better they performed. I have actually had people come to my front door (many times) asking what their names are. I am lucky that even though the roses have been in my flowerbeds for at least 15 years, they still have both their metal and their yellow tag I.D. numbers attached.

Does anyone know if somewhere there is a list that tells which roses from the test panels over the years made it to be eventually commercially available? I really would like to be able to tell people what the names of these roses are, plus I just want to know their names!

Thanks very much, Sue

Comments (6)