Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gael_christie

a three for all

gael.christie
16 years ago

all three roses were starts from roses found (pilfered) from plants in zone 5. advance apologies for my somewhat fuzzy camera skills :)

rose #1 - cluster flowered (5 petal, yellow stamen, hot pink to white,

rose #2 - double flowers at end of cane (bright lavendar pink, fades to very light pink, +/- 2" blooms), stiff canes, woody with age, upright to 6', spring/early summer only.

and, finally, rose #3 - big (7 X7)open, speading arching, blooms old wood, cluster flowered (+/- 1" 5 petal, white, yellow stamens, full sun, very few no prickles, once blooming spring.

hopefully, you all will be able to identify these where i have failed. thanks in advance, christie

Comments (22)

• lionheart_gw (USDA Zone 5A, Eastern NY)
    16 years ago

Since the first rose blooms constantly, I'm going to suggest that it may be "Nearly Wild" (Brownell,1941).

Looking at it, you would almost swear it was a species rose, probably R.Canina. But Canina would not be in constant bloom; it would bloom once and that would be it. So I'm guessing Nearly Wild.

The last one may be a Multiflora hybrid of some sort, but I'm not sure about either the 2nd or 3rd.

You could try searching on HelpMeFind (link below).

Here is a link that might be useful: Search at HMF

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

All show Rosa multiflora characteristics, will be forms or hybrids of it. The single won't be 'Nearly Wild' as that is a floribunda with modern-style glossy foliage etc.

• gael.christie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

hi thanks for the input

a good call on #1 being nearly wild, but, no. bloom is i have searched hmf and other sources, but i am still coming up short on final id.

i am thinking, tho that #2 may be madame isaac pereire? at first i thought maybe maggie, but then i saw maggie - not maggie.

someone suggested that #3 might be rosa multiflora itself.

so, what about #1? any insights/info would be greatly appreciated, thanks again, christie

• michaelg
    16 years ago

So #1 is a dwarf hybrid multiflora that is hardy and blooms all the time with good deep pink color. You would think this would be a famous rose. Maybe stefanb would be somebody to ask. It seems like something that would have turned up in the early stages of breeding polyanthas. Or who knows, it could be unique as far as I know.

#3 is pretty clearly the species multiflora.

• Jeannie Cochell
    16 years ago

Personally, I thought #1 was Ballerina. Still do.

• michaelg
    16 years ago

Ballerina is a good thought, but aren't its flowers bigger than 1"?

• gael.christie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

hi - for some reason when i try and respond to this, i get kicked out - so waited a day and trying again.

ballerina is a great call, except it isn't ballerina. leaves not as elongate and darker green. flowers are smaller clusters v. ballerina's huge panicles. it is more constantly in flower than ballerina and only about 2.5', narrow shrub and not sprawly. canes are more upright and not as lax.

i know, it is very hard to tell from a pictures, especially one of my pics. but, i really appreciate your input. it just surprises me that this is not a well known rose, it has great attributes.

any thoughts on #2? miperiere was my only thought, but ...?

again, thanks, christie

• olga_6b
    16 years ago

Rose #2 is definitely NOT Madame Isaac Perier. How big are the flowers and what kind of fragrance they have?
    Olga

• gael.christie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

hi olga

i think part of the problem w/ #2 is my lack of photographical expertise. i have more pics, but i am not sure they are any better.

the bloom really is more purple or lilacy than the pic seems to indicate. when the bloom fades, it fades to a real purple, so that would be the underlying tone.

the bloom itself is 2". it is a once bloomer for me and is an unprotected z5 location.

mipereire was my best guess after being able to rule out a few other options. can i ask why you think it is not mipereire?

thanks for your input, christie

• michaelg
    16 years ago

Re #1, in the singles thread on ARF, Altora posted Mignonette, an early polyantha with a multiflora parent. Apparently this rose fades to white. You could email altorama.

• olga_6b
    16 years ago

I understand that color could be difeerent. I base my statement not on color.
    Everything is wrong for MIP, leaves, petals, the bloom shape. MIP also should repeat unless you are in TX or some other really hot place. In more moderate climates it usualy has decent repeat. Also your description is "bright lavendar pink, fades to very light pink, +/- 2" blooms"
    MIP blooms more like 4-5", never fade, keep raspberry color till the end. Nothing lavender about, purple, raspberry, hot pink, whatever you call, but not lavender.
    In addition MIP has fragrance that is impossible to miss. It is one of the most fragrant roses around. Everybody can smell her, I think.

Olga

• gael.christie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

hi

michael - i believe mignonette is a double. #1 is a 5 petal single, but, again, a good thought.

olga - beautiful picture. and, clearly shows, mine is not mip; you are absolutely right.

so, once again, i have two that i cannot identify.

thanks again, if you have any furthur thoughts, i would really appreciate the input. christie

• michaelg
    16 years ago

The rose altorama posted is a 5-petal single and you can see her pictures on HMF. Hers could be mislabelled, but you could ask her where she got it. HMF describes the rose as semi-double.

• altorama Ray
    16 years ago

Hi Gael
    I think Michael is right, I just checked my 'Mignonette'
    against all of your pics, I am sure that is it.
    Here are some pictures of mine, the first one you can see
    blooms that are single to semi-double.
    On the second (not a good one) pic, you can see how it looks
    with mostly single. The first one is from this spring, the
    second one is from 2 falls ago.
    {{gwi:277454}}

I think there are 3 different 'Mignonettes' listed, I researched it earlier this year, I'll try to find it.
    The one pictured I recieved as 'Mignonette' from Ashdown
    roses. There is also one called "Mountain Mignonette" (I
    think it's a study name) from High Country Roses which
    lists the blooms as single. But I definitly have both on
    mine. And it does form the hips.
    Excellent rose, one of my favorites.

• altorama Ray
    16 years ago

The pic in the second photo looks like r.multiflora, does it
    have any fragrance?

The middle rose looks like a multiflora rambler (which are
    more stiff and upright than the wichuraiana's. Maybe 'Alexandre Girault'?

Perhaps NEroseman could be persuaded to have look?

• gael.christie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

hi -
    michael it seems you might be right about mignonette being a single. and, about my rose being mignonette. and many thanks for all your efforts :)

altorama - i got the other post and followed back to here. don't know why this one doesn't notify when there is a message.

mine is only a single, never double. i have started several different bushes from the first; these show some variation in colour. from pale pink to bright bright hot pink. but, as i said, only ever 5 petal singles. your pictures appear to show some striping, is that typical?

does the shrub form compare? stiffish canes but open to about 2-2.5'?

i'll look up agirault. i hadn't really considered it with regard to any ramblers.

thanks to you both, christie

• michaelg
    16 years ago

Mignonette is 127 years old, so it's not unlikely that a mini-mutation produced clones with 5 petals only like the species parent. Is it cane-hardy in zone 5?

• altorama Ray
    16 years ago

Mine is hardy here without protection.

• altorama Ray
    16 years ago

There are some you may want to look up-
    "Charles Walker Mignonette"
    "Mountain Mignonette"
    and probably more. I tried to figure this all out earlier
    but gave up. Note that Vintage describes 'Mignonette'
    as having white rosettes, dime sized.
    Anyway, yes mine does have a few stiff canes-especially
    now that it is older. It grew one tall one recently,
    with a 'candelabra' of blooms at the top. I tied the
    cane horizontally and it has flowered all along the
    stem now.

• gael.christie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

hi - i was going to take a number of pictures, but the jb's had a feast. this is what i was able to salvage, altho tons of buds.

altorama, mine is very upright and stiff with an open form. constantly (really) in bloom. it is a wonderful shrub. like yours, the older it gets,the taller. i have two that are almost 3.5'

michael, my mature shrubs are cane hardy in zone 5. in fact, they are quite exposed (i do have some very protected areas) and still the shrub keeps most it's cane. the more mature ones are quite 'woody'. it is one of my first roses to bloom and one of the last left standing.

i am so glad to have this identified. thanks to you both, christie

• gael.christie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

hi - in case someone was doing a search, just wanted to post a note that, in fact, none of the singles i pictured above are mignonette - thanks, christie

• len511
    16 years ago

1)complicata
    2)dorothy perkins maybe super dorothy
    3)?

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!