Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spring_chicken

OGR Mystery Rose

spring_chicken
17 years ago

This is a rose growing to about 6' tall by 6' wide, that is on a lot that is about to be developed. I already have rooted cuttings. Now I need an ID.

{{gwi:1222968}}

{{gwi:1222969}}

{{gwi:1222971}}

Comments (8)

• cecilia_md7a
    17 years ago

Here again are the first two questions I always ask when trying to ID a found rose:

Does it repeat or is it a once-bloomer?

Is it fragrant (and if so, how strong is the scent & what does it smell like?)

• spring_chicken
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Repeat I have no idea on. But the fragrance is the strongest "true rose" I know of. Also another characteristic that may be helpful is that it appears to only bloom on lateral branches, or one bloom per vertical shoot. Nearly thornless.

• spring_chicken
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Any suggestions would be helpful here. The picture on my screen is more orange than in real life. The real flower is more fuschia. It looks exactly like Madame Isaac Pereire on HMF to me.

• rosyjennifer
    17 years ago

I really have no idea, but will give you a few leads. Your pics remind me of a picture of the bloom of Mme. Victor Verdier, but I don't know about its growth habit and lateral blooms. It is supposed to be nearly thornless, too.

Another place to look is on Vintage Garden's website. Check out the Hybrid Perpetuals with growth habit 5, (tall, arching growth with lateral blooms). I bet you'll find your rose there.

Hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hybrid Perpetuals

• spring_chicken
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Here is a better pic for color. This is as close to the real color as I can get. - P

{{gwi:1222973}}

Here is the pic that I found at Heirloom Roses. Maybe you could see if they look the same to you. Also the buds on the plant look like these.

{{gwi:1222976}}

I Know you hate it Trospero, but I think it's ok to use another's pic if it's only to compare to another, and not for profit.. Also I made it so I could pull it as soon as possible instead of it being permanently here.

• madspinner
    17 years ago

I have Madame Isaac Pereire, or at least a small plant of it, and so does a friend of mine. I can say that it has very distinctive color leaves that are have a bluish or grey cast to them and look very unlike any of my other roses foliage.

It also has thorns.

Now, for the big question... I'd love to have cuttings of this rose. Don't you live pretty near me? We will have to exchange cuttings at some point. Hey, and I should tell you where I've found my good old rose cuttings too.

• spring_chicken
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Madspinner - You have mail. I also forgot to ask about those places for cuttings. I have a mist propagation setup that is itchin to be filled! - Paul

• Embothrium
    17 years ago

'Paul Ricault' is fairly common around here. Check out that one.