Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boisenoise

Another IBG mystery rose: purple reblooming 'heirloom'?

boisenoise
16 years ago

Here's another mystery rose from the Idaho Botanical Garden. The IBG is trying to map its "heirloom" rose garden, and several roses remain unidentified. (By the way, not all of the roses are OGR or even "heirloom," although that is supposed to be the focus.) This little beauty is strongly fragrant. It is very healthy, and has a strong repeat bloom. The flower is probably about two inches across and has a deeper colouring than in the photo (purple with violet tones). Every blossom is perfectly formed! Overall height is under three feet. I would love to grow this one at home if I could only figure out its name so that I could buy one somewhere!

Image link:

Comments (18)

• lionessrose
    16 years ago

Reminds me of Reine Des Violettes/Henri Martin/The Prince...
    Lioness

• boisenoise
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Lioness. I'll look those up! Do you ever come over to Boise? Maybe you could have a look at the real thing . . . ?

• lionessrose
    16 years ago

Boisemom
    Not too often... (I am just South of Pocatello)I really don't like the drive to Boise, it is VERY windy and desert yuck :o)
    A couple years ago just a few miles past Twin Falls, the wind picked up my VW van, right off the road, tires off the ground, it scared the crap out of me... that was the last trip I have been on heading in that direction :o)
    However, if our trip should work out this summer and we make it to the Oregon Coast, we will be taking the Boise route.
    Had I known about IBG I would have stopped by to smell the roses long ago :o)
    My first thought when viewing your photo was Reine Des Violettes. However she can get 5-6 ft tall and in some climates can be grown as a climber, so the info reads that is.
    I have 2, planted last season, they are just now reaching the 3 ft tall mark.
    I believe Henri is a once blooming rose reaching 5-7 ft tall (I do not have one of him).
    Most of your description matches:The Prince. He has good repeat blooms, is purple, has a strong old rose fragrance and is a smaller bush in size reaching 2-3 ft. I believe he is a 1990 Austin rose.
    I had 2 of him, neither made it through the winter.
    Nice to have met you.
    Hope to brave the drive and see IBG soon. The Lioness
    {{gwi:1223246}}

• boisenoise
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yikes! I don't blame you for not wanting to risk driving over here, after that! I took the wrong turn over in the southeast part of the state once (I think it was near Soda Springs or around Bear Lake) when I was driving home from visiting my folks in Missouri. I drove for miles and miles on a forest service road that had no signs or anything . . . it was downright scary! I wasn't sure I'd ever see civilization again! So heading your direction makes me a little nervous, too! :)

I have 'The Prince' at home, so I know this particular mystery rose isn't 'The Prince.' The color is different: 'The Prince' is darker for me, and has a bit more red in it. 'The Prince' is also smaller-growing.

I drove out to the IBG for a better look at our 'mystery rose' today, and here's what I found out: it is definitely not thornless, and although it doesn't have a lot of moss, it does have that distinctive moss smell when I run my fingers over the buds, so I think it is indeed a moss. I guess that rules out 'Reine des Violettes.' I was getting all excited to think that it must in fact be 'Henri Martin' until I got home just now and read your post. This one DOES rebloom, very nicely, so I guess it is not 'Henri Martin,' either. Hmmm.

I took some more photos, so I'll post those in the hopes that someone will be more likely to recognize this plant. This one shows a bit more of the foliage, as well as how the flowers look in different stages. The color is just not right, though . . . it's a deeper violet-purple in real life.

And this one shows how different the flower color looks in different light. The rose at the furthest right is 'Prospero'; the ones right in the center are the "mystery rose," with 'Marie Pavie' at the left. The shrub is fairly small (although it's hard to see exactly where it leaves off, since there's a Dr. Huey right behind it, and a damask behind it on the left). As you can see, in this light the flower color is almost identical to 'Prospero,' and it looks a lot more "red" than it does in the shade. :(

• lionessrose
    16 years ago

My mouth is watering... Look at all them roses I have missed out on :o)
    We darn near have a thing in common. My kids wrestle and one of the places I get to drive to for matches just happens to be Soda Springs... I too got lost, the first time we had to go there... after driving for what felt like forever, I finally passed a sign informing me we were heading to Wyoming!
    I drove right through Soda and didn't even know it... guess I must have been day dreaming about roses :o) Oops
    William Lobb would be another guess... but I think he fades to a deeper purple with age and gets quite large in certain climates
    Might wanna look into Deuil de Paul Fontaine also. He is a moss rose / purple 3-4 ft tall/repeat bloomer
    Some of the foilage reminds me of a rugosa with the rounded leaf ends... might wanna check into that too.
    Thought about Charles de Mills but I think he is a once bloomer/
    resembles Roseraie de L'Hay/Captaine John Ingram/Niuts de Young/and others but not quite a 'match'
    Hope another forum friend jumps in to help... I think my brain has shut down on who this fellow could be :o)
    Keep me posted, it is now driving me crazy :o)
    The Lioness

• boisenoise
    Original Author
    16 years ago

They definitely need some better signs over there! I think the road sign I finally came to said I was headed for Utah . . . in fact, I did just go on into Utah to find a place to spend the night, I was so far off course by then . . . so you and I must have made opposite turns at that intersection! LOL

I'm pretty sure this isn't a rugosa . . . the leaves are quite smooth. But I guess 'Hunter' has pretty smooth leaves, too, and it is a hybrid rugosa.

I know it isn't Charles de Mills . . . that one IS a once-bloomer, and since the IBG does have one, I'm familiar with "him." Beautiful flowers, but gets mildewy most years.

I'll definitely check out all of your other suggestions! Thanks!

• susaninthegarden
    16 years ago

Hey! More Idaho people! Now I have to go see that botanical garden. Didn't even know we had one!
    I live south of Burley so it is a bit of a drive but would love to see those roses.

• len511
    16 years ago

looks like burgundian rose. but only blooms once. is small rose

• boisenoise
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I believe that it is, in fact 'Rose de Rescht'! Thanks so much to everybody who joined in here!!! I had looked up all of the other suggestions, but they didn't seem quite right. This time, though, everything fits! I took a good look at the buds today, and that was the clincher for me: they're perfectly round, with those decoratively-edged sepals!

Lionness, I probably threw you off course by mentioning the "moss" . . . I did get that turpentiney smell when I ran my fingers over the sepals, but that's about it. Ah well, mystery solved! I love this rose, too, and now I'm going to find one for my own garden! :)

Susaninthegarden, if you ever do make it over here this far, I'm sure you would enjoy scoping out the IBG even if the old garden roses are out of bloom right then . . . there's lots of other stuff, too! The IBG isn't so large or comprehensive as a lot of other botanical gardens, but it's still very pleasant to visit. As early in the day as possible is best, since it gets really hot out there in a hurry.

I still have two more roses that are waiting to be identified (besides the ones that I have already posted); I'll try to get some photos and descriptions of those uploaded within the next few days, and who knows, maybe you knowledgeable folks can help me with those, too! I am SO grateful for your help!

• boisenoise
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Is 'Rose de Rescht' the same as 'Rose du Roi'? I was looking up info on 'Rose de Rescht' last night, and noticed that Graham Thomas wrote that they might, in fact, be the same rose. Then I checked 'Rose du Roi' on Helpmefind, and those photos look the same to me . . . in fact, they even show the true color shades of "my" rose better than the 'Rose de Rescht' photos. Maybe the IBG rose could be 'Rose du Roi' instead? (I think I'll go ahead and post this bud-and-cane photo:)

• cupshaped_roses
    16 years ago

Rose Du Roi does not have the lateral outgrowths on the sepals, and the glandular growth that gave the mossy smell from the resin you got on your finger tips when you rubbed your finger over the the buds/sepals. And the flowers are not as perfect as the flowers on Rose De Rescht. Some Rose de Rescht have probably been sold as Rose Du Roi adding to the confusion and GST theory that Rose Du Roi is and Rose de Rescht is the same rose. I wonder why a Estimated rosarian like GST could make such a mistake when there is such obvious differences between Rose De Rescht and Rose du Roi? A look on the sepals and you are able to distinguish the two roses. Also the foliage on Roi is lighter green and more coarse than Rose de Rescht. I suspect those that complain about the foliage on their Rose De Reshts grow Rose Du Roi.

The Colour of Rose de Rescht blooms change a lot. The Amount of sunlight and temperature makes a big difference. Sometimes almost crimson, sometimes magenta-red other times more pink and sometimes almost pinkish/purple.:

Here some photos of Rose De Rescht:

A bud (see the shape of sepals and glandular growth similar to your rose):

{{gwi:1223250}}

A nice bloom:

{{gwi:312408}}

some more blooms:

{{gwi:312409}}

here a spent bloom (looks almost excacly like the ones in your 2. post):

{{gwi:1223251}}

So this one was very easy to identify. If you have other roses I will try to identify those too.

• stefanb8
    16 years ago

Cupshaped is quite right; it's obviously Rose de Resht!

• boisenoise
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Cup_shaped roses, I'm convinced! :) Thanks so much for taking the time to look at my photos and help with this. There simply isn't anyone in our whole part of the country who knows enough about these old roses ton be able to make a definitive identification, so your input is invaluable!!!

I do have photos & descriptions of a couple of other "mystery" roses posted elsewhere on 'Name that Rose' forum. I'd be delighted if you would care to take a look and see what you think! Here's one that may or may not be the damask rose 'York and Lancaster' (if it is truly supposed to have two colors on some blooms, I don't understand why it doesn't!)

Here is a link that might be useful: 'York and Lancaster'?

• boisenoise
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here's another:

Here is a link that might be useful: pale peach large-flowered semi-double

• boisenoise
    Original Author
    16 years ago

And another:

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Fruhlingsgold'? 'Bloomfield Dainty'?

• boisenoise
    Original Author
    16 years ago

This is one that I just recently posted.

Here is a link that might be useful: dark purple/ crimson moss rose

• boisenoise
    Original Author
    16 years ago

And here is one more rose (also a moss, I think; at least it has glandular, resin-like growths on the buds). This one is purple, with faint stripes.

I also have a couple of other unidentified moss roses, a pink and a white one, posted elsewhere: to find the posting, search for "Lafayette Carter"!

I think these are all the roses that I will be trying to post and identify, at least for this year! I really appreciate everyone who has taken the time to look at them and try to help identify them! At least two ('Rose de Resht' in this listing, and 'Ghislaine de Feligonde,' in another posting) have been positively identified, and I am so grateful!

Here is a link that might be useful: purple striped heirloom rose

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County