Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kpn_kardif

In over my head...

Kpn.Kardif
9 years ago

I've been a long time reader of the gardenweb forums, particularly the veggie sections, but this is my first post. Hopefully you knowledgeable folks can help to point me in the right direction.

I bought my first home in September of 2013, just south of Seattle. It's got a great big south facing back yard, which at the moment is growing all kinds of wonderful veggies. But the roses? Those came as a surprise. The first one (Rose 1) was discovered by a friend that I hired to mow the lawn before I had purchased my own lawnmower, probably in mid October. It's in the front yard underneath a large birch tree and had a bud on it at the time that didn't open before winter set in. It actually bloomed this spring and had a beautiful light pink flower, which I unfortunately neglected to get a picture of (whoops). Also this spring, I was mowing the lawn with my own lawnmower and noticed that there was actually another one (Rose 2) poking through the grass a bit farther to the south of the first one. I've let it grow, it's now over 4 feet tall, with a single gangly stalk and aphids infesting the growth tip. Both of these are under large birch trees and get partial sun, full sun maybe 4-6 hours per day.

I also discovered two more growing in an overgrown bed along the south side of the house (Roses 3 and 4), which i was clearing blackberry/grass/scilla out of. I nearly mistook them for blackberry! They were about six inches tall at the time, and more red than normal for blackberry, so I left them. Definitely roses. Then there's the most recent discovery, the odd duck growing up through the side lawn on the opposite side of the walk from the south garden bed (Rose 5). I'm not sure how it ended up over there, but it's a very unfortunate location. I would like to move it, and I have a great spot for it, but I don't know how fragile the roots are or how deep/wide to dig...

So five roses, so far at least. I'm glad I have them here, but I must confess I don't have the first clue about what to do with them. I've been doing some research on pruning, but everything seems to be based on the type of rose, and I haven't the foggiest idea what these are. The house was built in 1942, and my neighbor seems to recall people putting in a rose bed back in the late 60's along the west side of the property, which is where roses 1 and 2 are. This house was vacant for a number of years before I bought, and was really let go. A nonprofit purchased it and got it into shape again, tearing out all the overgrown crap and putting in a new lawn. How these roses survived I will never know.

In any case, I am quite lost with what to do. They're all getting really tall and lanky, and I'm sure could use a good pruning. Any advice? I've linked a photo gallery of what I've got below, as I'm not sure how the forum here would handle putting up this many pictures in one post.

Thanks!

Kardif

Here is a link that might be useful: Rose Gallery

Comment (1)