Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
indiboi

Two Unknown Bodybag Roses

indiboi
18 years ago

Hello everyone. I've just been bitten by the cheapie rose mislabelling and was hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction as to iding these two roses. I've spent a good while on helpmefind.com trying to determine what these may be, but I apparently don't know enough about the descriptors to make that happen.

Unknown Yellow Rose - Body Bag from Certified Roses bought at Walmart. Glossy dark green foliage, nearly thornless, mild "florist shop" fragrance, possibly "fruity" but not sure exactly how that works. It opens orangey/yellow then turns into a more "yellow/yellow" and the red/orange fades out. It was labeled as a Chicago Peace.

{{gwi:1223313}}

{{gwi:1223317}}

{{gwi:1223320}}
{{gwi:1223322}}

Unknown Orange Rose - Another Certified body bag from Walmart. Labeled as a 'Sterling Silver' but not even close, clearly. Foliage is matte or only slightly glossy, lightish green. No detectable fragrance, average thorns (?)

{{gwi:1223325}}

{{gwi:1223327}}

{{gwi:1223331}}

{{gwi:1223335}}

Hopefully I've provided enough photos and background to at least get a better idea of what they may be, even if they can't be truly identified. I imagine they're fairly common... they both went from bud to a state of being pretty much fully open overnight, so I wasn't able to get any 'inbetween' photos. Thanks!

Comments (4)

• johnreb_va7
    18 years ago

El-cheapo bodybag roses are cheap-priced because they are almost always the "older" rose-varieties whose Plant Patent has expired. The bodybag-rose packers are pretty diligent about NOT letting their highpriced In-Patent roses get mixed up with their cheap Expired-Patent bareroots. Thus, a mislabeled bodybag rose will almost always turn out to be one of the older rose-varieties.

Your mystery-rose #1 is most likely Peace. Its characteristic dark-green and glossy leaves show clearly in your photo, and the petal-count looks about right. Peace doesn't usually open up "overnight" like you say both of your roses did - but an "un-established" weak newly-planted rose can do that, especially in the weird wether the Mid-Atlantic region has been having lately.

Your #2 mystery-rose *may* be Climbing Joseph's Coat. The petal-count also looks about right, and CJC is a rose noted for the vary fast opening-up of its blooms. Joseph's Coat is a yellow "sunblusher" rose - meaning, a rose who's petals react to solar ultraviolet by turning orange, red, or pink where the ultraviolet hit them on the previous day. I notice your #2 rose seems to be planted where an overhead tree causes "dappled sunlight" - so it doesn't get enough ultraviolet to cause the hot-orange and scarlet colors that are usually seen in Joseph's Coat's blooms.

That being said... Joseph's Coat is a climber, and a cluster-bloomer. If your newly-planted little bareroot rose #2 doesn't soon start putting out clusters and lengthy shoots, it isn't Joseph's Coat. (I must confess that my yard's three Joseph's Coat bushes arrived as cheap bodybag bareroots - and until they gained some strength they looked like your mystery-rose #2.)

Or, I could be completely wrong about your #2 rose's identity. Weak newly-planted cheap bodybag bareroot roses can fool ya, because their first blooms are often singles even though the plant might actually be a cluster-bloomer. The blooms' size and color can also be different from what the mature plant will produce. So, guessing its identity is risky until it matures enough to behave "normally."

Regards,
    JohnReb

• ginni77
    18 years ago

The second one looks just the Joseph's Coat I used to have.

No clue on the first one.

Ginni

• indiboi
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for your help, both of you, thus far. :)

There could be some irony, if the first one is actually 'Peace' versus 'Chicago Peace' -- as I settled for this one after not being able to find a regular 'Peace' rose. I thought it might be that, but mine is so very yellow and lacking the strong pink/red tones I see in most of the photos. Then again, it is that newly planted cheapie rose situation, weather conditions and all sorts of other things to take into account. I do rather like the "very yellowness" of that rose though, so I'm not particularly complaining. ;)

After looking up 'Joseph's Coat' I think that might be the one. My little 'Iceberg' put out rather HT-like stems its first year, but now it's putting out big 9 & 10 bud clusters, so it definitely seems reasonable something similar could be happening here. This one did change colour , it was much more orange when it first opened and now it appears to have morphed into almost a dayglow pink. It's actually rather nice, it lights up that spot. I didn't realize/remember just how the sun hit the area, not exactly the best place for a rose afterall, heh...

This was at 7AM this morning, much more pink than yesterday afternoon & evening (the previous photos):

{{gwi:1223340}}

If the pink were to turn red... then it would look much more like the photos at hmf. Since the colour does change with exposure to stronger light, that'd probably happen. I think that is it.

I suppose time will tell, but at least I have some distinct possibilities for the ID of these two. :-) Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: #2 could be Joseph's Coat... you're likely correct

• johnreb_va7
    18 years ago

You're welcome, Indiboi. Glad I was of some help. But I gotta say, how helpful I actually was won't be clear until your two mystery-roses get to their "more mature" strength-level - and achieve their normal growth-habit, bloom-habit, petal-count, etc.

I also want to mention that if (like your maybe-Joseph's Coat) your maybe-Peace rose is also partially shaded from the sun's ultraviolet during the day, its bloom-color will tend to lack a lot of the normal pinkish "blush" on the petals' edges. Many people don't know that Peace is a "slight" sunblusher. Peace blooms which open during a rainy/cloudy set of days will tend to show appreciably less pink on them than Peace blooms which get days of full sun-exposure.

Regards,
    JohnReb