Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bebble_gw

La Marne or Natchitoches Noisette?

bebble
18 years ago

Ok, at first I thought I'd found the N.N. in my granny's yard - I REALLY wanted that one...

However, it appears that it might be L.M. instead - recently brought to my attention by fellow posters...either way it will be nice if the roots take, but it'd be nice to know what the gen. population here thinks. :)

{{gwi:1223354}}

{{gwi:1223355}}

the bottom pic is altered in color so the petals show easily.

Here's an over-all of the whole bush, ect. If you have any pics of either bush I'd love to be able to compare them!!!

:

Here is a link that might be useful: found rose near Natchitoches, LA

Comments (6)

• alicia7b
    18 years ago

Natchitoches Noisette has a strong fragrance; I have that rose and it smells wonderful. The foliage on mine isn't that glossy, either. La Marne only has a mild fragrance.

Here are pictures at helpmefind for comparison: Natchitoches Noisette and La Marne

• rosyone
    18 years ago

Bebble, here is Natchitoches Noisette...
    {{gwi:1223356}}

... and here is La Marne. This photo was taken a month or so back and is typical of spring blooms. Summer blooms tend to be smaller and paler with fewer petals.
    {{gwi:1223357}}

This is the polyantha Mevrouw Nathalie Nypels, which has larger blooms on a smaller plant but is otherwise very similar to La Marne. It would be easy to confuse the two at this age, but I think the mature rose in your photos is too large to be MNN unless that's a doll house behind it. I don't expect this baby to grow taller than about a yard.
    {{gwi:1223358}}

• bebble
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Rosyone,
    Yeah - this one is taller than myself and that's after my Granddad hacked on it a bit (punishment for upsetting his lawnmower ride). One of the branched removed was the same size as my wrist, but then again mine are little.

About Mevrouw Nathalie Nypels - do you have all three and they look like they'd be nice together...would like to see about MNN for in front of my garden. I'll look for where they may be available, but where did you get yours from? and do you have any other close ones?

• rosyone
    18 years ago

Bebble, yes, I do have all three roses, in three different areas of my yard. I think you'll find that Natchitoches Noisette and La Marne aren't really all that similar. One is as soft and romantic as the other is crisp and cheerful, but I wouldn't let that stop me from using them together if that's what I wanted to do. But rather than looking for companion roses that closely resemble one or the other, I'd look for roses that maybe blend, color wise, but add different notes where bloom form and "attitude" are concerned. That way no one rose would stand out as not belonging to the group.

A friend surprised me with cuttings from several roses collected during a visit with a rose growing Georgia relative last summer and Mevrouw Nathalie Nypels happened to be among them. I guess you could say it chose me rather than the other way around, just as La Marne has chosen you. She's a nice, healthy rose and I needed a shorty for the front of a bed that already had a fairly eclectic mix of roses, so she didn't have any difficulty finding a permanent home.

• bebble
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ah, I wish I had a bunch of rose growing friends - most of mine think I'm a nut case, lol. Except for two w/ new houses who are asking me what the ones there are and stuff like that...

The reason I asked about little MNN is because I wanted a light colored garden at the end of the porch to enjoy under the nearby floodlight at night as well as day. I plan to use "zephies" for the back chain-link fence for the scent and shade ability, Natchitoches for one side, and La Marne for the other side against a building since it seems to do well at that...

It just seemed natural to put something like your other one as the front border to finish out the pnk border so I could fill it w/ another light color...do you know another rose that would be more appropriate (at risk of highjacking thread content, lol)

• rosyone
    18 years ago

More appropriate, no. There are plenty of other roses that would work in spot, but if MNN sings for you then I can't think of any reason you should drop it in favor of something else. But if I can make a suggestion for somewhere under the floodlight: I have the shrub form of Souvenir de la Malmaison near my front porch lights and it GLOWS. Not a shabby looking rose in the daytime either. At 4'-6' it may be too large for your front-of-the-border spot.