Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ccaissie

Gros Choux de Hollande?

ccaissie
11 years ago

This rose is magnificent this year. It is part of the old farmstead, and I cannot determine when it arrived here in Whitefield, Maine. I rescued a specimen when they reworked the road here, and have reintroduced it in the gardens, especially in front of the Rose Room.

It looks to be a centifolia, almost thornless, lighter green foliage with a large slightly bullate leaf. Clusters of 3-7 red buds opening to the blossoms in the attached photo. Nice medium strength fragrance. My guesses are Bullata, or Gros Choux de Hollande, also classified as a Bourbon. It could have been introduced by Sara (Hahn)Fergusson anytime after 1940, or by George Fergusson, the Scottish opera singer, when he bought the place in 1921.

This is a large plant, completely unpruned, and would likely respond well to better care as I learn more. More photos available if desired. I intend to propagate it and provide it to commercial rose offerings. It's a real clean healthy beauty that has lived on the farm for a long time, and has proved istelf...whatever it is.

Any suggestions on how to confirm this variety?

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES