Return to the Name That Rose Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gros Choux de Hollande?

Posted by ccaissie Maine (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 14, 12 at 7:00

This rose is magnificent this year. It is part of the old farmstead, and I cannot determine when it arrived here in Whitefield, Maine. I rescued a specimen when they reworked the road here, and have reintroduced it in the gardens, especially in front of the Rose Room.

It looks to be a centifolia, almost thornless, lighter green foliage with a large slightly bullate leaf. Clusters of 3-7 red buds opening to the blossoms in the attached photo. Nice medium strength fragrance. My guesses are Bullata, or Gros Choux de Hollande, also classified as a Bourbon. It could have been introduced by Sara (Hahn)Fergusson anytime after 1940, or by George Fergusson, the Scottish opera singer, when he bought the place in 1921.

This is a large plant, completely unpruned, and would likely respond well to better care as I learn more. More photos available if desired. I intend to propagate it and provide it to commercial rose offerings. It's a real clean healthy beauty that has lived on the farm for a long time, and has proved istelf...whatever it is.

Any suggestions on how to confirm this variety?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gros Choux de Hollande?

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 7, 12 at 19:28

Don't know what it is but it is beautiful, CC!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Rose Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here