Return to the Name That Rose Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help naming an unknown red rose

Posted by brenhelms z7 AR (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 6, 05 at 8:18

I bought this rose this weekend at Home Depot because I couldn't resist its beauty-but now I'm stumped as to its true identity. The label read 'Dreamy nights' floribunda-yet the tag underneath the label read 'Red Radiance' hybrid tea. Since there is no rose currently called 'dreamy nights' (none that I can find, anyway), and it definitely isn't a 'Red Radiance', I would sure appreciate a name for this lovely rose. As you can see, the blooms are cupped and very full-also appears to be quartered to me. Almost reminds me a "Tradescant". Any opinions?

Image link: help naming an unknown red rose (0 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help naming an unknown red rose

Sorry-picture didn't come through-this should be it-if not, the url is correct.

[IMG]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y249/brenhelms/5b210ca4.jpg[/IMG]

Here is a link that might be useful: unknown red

o

Another picture of the unknown rose:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

o

Is it too red to be Rose de Rescht?

o

It reminds me of Rouge Royale. Is it fragrant?

Here is a link that might be useful: Rouge Royale photos - click on Main for more info

o

To me the color appears to be a deep red-and there is a slight fragrance-my husband describes it as a 'faint citrusy smell'. I couldn't pick it up due to my allergies-so the fragrance must be light, as I was able to discern the fragrance from some of my other roses.

o

Think I've discovered my red rose's true identity-Francois Rabelais-very much like Rouge Royale, but with no real smell. Here is a picture:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Any other opinions? I'm hoping to accurately id this rose soon, as I love its look and am planning on buying 2 more bushes so I can plant them in front of some taller shrubs.

o

I have Tradescant:

Rouge Royale:

And Francois Rabelais:

And I thought yours looked more like RR than the others, at first. But RR has a very strong fragrance and so does Tradescant. They are both also more a pink-toned red, where FR is definitely a red-red, leaning more toward the orange side of the spectrum. It's not orange, but I hope you get what I mean. The fragrance would really give it away tho...FR has NO fragrance in my garden. He also blooms in big trusses of roses too.

Whatever you decide, yours is lovely!!
Ginni

o

Ginni-Thanks for the info and pictures of your Rouge Royale-my rose is definitely red-red--no pinkish tones whatsoever. And the lack of fragrance was the clincher for me-this is definitely a Francois Rabelais. Thanks to all who helped in this id. I feel really lucky to have come across this rose by happy "accident". Sometimes rose mislabelings are a good thing-I got a great rose for a great price-thanks to Home Depot!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Rose Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here