Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lise_b

Bright pink rose with 5 petals

lise_b
18 years ago

This little guy just opened up yesterday. It's growing under a fir tree and is one of many roses in the yard that have been neglected for years and years.

Image link:

Comments (12)

• Florida__Rose
    18 years ago

Old blush?

• altorama Ray
    18 years ago

how big is that bloom?
    alida

• lise_b
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Alida, it's 2 1/4" across.

I don't think it's Old Blush, as that's semi-double and these are all just the five petals.

• anntn6b
    18 years ago

Let's see if the next two blooms (lower right) open with additional petals.
    The leaves don't match R. carolina or R. virginiana, nor do they match First Light, a HRugosa with similar colored petals.
    It's been a while since I grew Betty Prior, but the foliage and bloom color in the shade may match Betty.

• lise_b
    Original Author
    18 years ago

More have opened up, and I think they're all 5 petaled. I googled Betty Prior (below) and it looks VERY close... I'll check all the details on thorns and leaves when I get home. Thanks! :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Google on Betty Prior

• collinw
    18 years ago

If it is a climber, it might be american pillar.

• truehobbit
    18 years ago

It looks very much like a wild rose (rosa canina/dog rose or some other wild species) to me.
    Maybe there used to be a tea-rose or so once, and the rest of wild plant that it was grown on is still in the ground? Or a rosehip fell there and took root?

Here is a link that might be useful: wild rose

• truehobbit
    18 years ago

Sorry - I don't see a way to edit a post - I think I got the link wrong.
    (I didn't click it in the preview function, didn't think of it - I'm all new to the site, never been to a forum where you couldn't edit your posts - sorry. :) )

Here is a link that might be useful:

• Ron_B
    18 years ago

Best guess so far is 'Betty Prior', but I don't think that's quite it. It will be easier to tell when the plant is more fully developed.

• memorialday71
    18 years ago

it looks like nearly wild

• llpnut
    18 years ago

I'm growing Betty Prior and that looks like it
    or mebbe Else Poulsen? kinfolk?

• lise_b
    Original Author
    18 years ago

So it looks a LOT like Betty Prior, but the thing is, it's so tiny that I would have sworn it grew from seed. There's another one just like it about 3' away. The other roses next to it are very different, bright magenta floribundas of some sort, with about 15 petals. Now, it's possible that a Betty Prior or similar rose was once there, died, and got yanked when we did cleanup this spring... It's my first full year in the house, so I wasn't there last summer.

I'll probably pot them both up next spring, move them to full sun (they're growing under a fir tree!), and see what happens. :)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting