Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blazerose

RE:Help in identifying a couple of wild roses

blazerose
18 years ago

Hi there,

I live in southern Idaho, and I've been searching all over the internet to try and identify two kinds of wild roses that grow all over this region. They are yellow and red rambling roses that seem to be wild. They grow in many different areas. They don't look like they have multiple petals, but the color of both is very vibrant....yellow and red, and they seem to grow together. These roses spread and get pretty tall as well.

If anybody knows what they are, I'd sure appreciate knowing.

Thanks,

blazerose

Comments (9)

• cecilia_md7a
    18 years ago

In your part of the country, I would guess that the yellow one is Harison's Yellow, although it's not a single-petaled rose (See the link below for photos). Don't know about the red ones.

Here is a link that might be useful: Harison's Yellow

• blazerose
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you for the response about the yellow rose! Yes...that picture provided of the actual bush looks exactly like the yellow roses that are growing with the red one. Now if I can just figure out the red, I can order these and get them going.
    Thanks again!

• blazerose
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey again,
    Well, because of your help in identifying the Harison's Yellow rose, I was able to find out what the red rose is that grows with it. I called High Country roses to order the yellow, and she was able to tell me what the red is that grows with it. It is actually a more orangy red rose, and it is called an Austrian Copper rose. YAAAA! I'm so excited....I ordered some of both and will hopefully have them established and spreading within a few years.
    Thanks bunches!!

• joan_m
    18 years ago

If your red is Austrian Copper, your yellow may be Austrian Yellow, since these two sport back and forth a bit. Harison's Yellow is thought to be a seedling of Austrian Yellow.

• blazerose
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks again. I went to a nursery yesterday that has carried both of these roses in the past. The gal I spoke with said that they call the yellow rose a Persian Yellow. Well, I looked that up on the internet and found nothing on it....so I'm not sure exactly what that one is. But, the Harison's Yellow looks like what I'm looking for, and I'm sure there are others that are similar. I will look up the Austrian Yellow and see what that one looks like.
    The Austrian Copper rose must be very popular though because the nursery I called yesterday has them on back order, and the nursery I went to yesterday doesn't have any more either.
    Anyway, I sure appreciate the info you have provided. This is a great site!

• User
    18 years ago

Blaze rose-Good morning from SW Idaho-
    I hope you got your questions answered. Your rose is most definitely Austrian Copper! It can be seen growing vigorously along SH 30 from Bliss thru Hagerman (thousand springs area) and Buhl. I was told that it propagates itself and it is fast grower. It does seem to love that particular area immensely. We have grown it here in the SW ID but it does not seem quite as hardy. So I suspect the soil composition and the water in that area! Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Austrian Copper photos on HMF

• northspruce
    18 years ago

Persian Yellow is similar to Harison's but the petals are a darker golden yellow and the scent is described as anywhere from "funny" to "horrible". Harison's has a light lemony fragrance. Persian Yellow is also reported to be bad for getting blackspot, but I don't know how much of a problem that is in your area.

Also, this might be politically incorrect, but if you see them growing wild why don't you just go obtain one with a shovel? I don't know if that's illegal in Idaho or not. Both these roses (Aust. Copper and Harison's) produce new offshoots via suckers so you could likely get a piece of each without removing the plant from the area. Just a thought since they are backordered.

• susaninthegarden
    16 years ago

So these are two separate roses? I have a neighbor going to give me one but I thought it was all on one rose. By the way from s. idaho too and they do grow all over here.

• jrherwaldt_gmail_com
    12 years ago

I have an austrian copper rose in the orange that I started from an offshoot I dug up. The place I got them had both orange and yellow but we dug them in late fall and couldn't tell which were which color. I have had it for about 7 years and this year it had yellow flowers on it also. I haven't checked to see if the yellow flowers were on a sucker or a branch

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida