Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shellfleur

Please help me identify this rambler

shellfleur
18 years ago

I bought a house 3 years ago and inherited a rambler rose. It had overgrown canes that I would estimate to be 15-20 ft long...wrapped around bushes of poison ivy and other overgrown shrubs we got rid of last year. The rose had only 4-5 canes, which I cut down to a foot long each. This year, the rose has completely taken off...tons of canes, prolific (I would say vigorous) growth and now, some blooms. The blooms are typical sized for a rambler...tiny...about 1 1/2 - 2 inches...pale pink and double (they remind me of the pictures of Renae). I don't think there's much fragrance. The house is old...from the 1940's. I don't know how old the rose is but I see no bud union. The leaves are dark green and glossy.

Any guesses as to what this rose might be? I now have a Super Dorothy and I wonder if the rambler might be a Dorothy Perkins...blooms are very similiar.

Comments (7)

• cecilia_md7a
    18 years ago

ShellFleur, keep an eye on it and check for mildew on the leaves. Dorothy Perkins is a mildew magnet!

• beth1
    18 years ago

ShellFleur,

Does your rambler look like the pic of my rose that I asked about in the link below? Everyone says that 'Dorothy Perkins' has mildew problems but my rose has never had any mildew problems... so, I don't think, this being the case, that mine is 'Dorothy'. ;-)

Thanks & good luck,
    Beth

Here is a link that might be useful: A Pic of My Rose

• shellfleur
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Cecilia, I have yet to see any mildew on this rose. It seems very healthy. No fungal diseases yet, no pests. Beth, thanks for the link to your picture. Yes, my rose does look like that. It also behaves the way you describe...no mildew, very little scent, light pink blooms. I really have no way of knowing how old this rose is either, except that it's obviously got a huge root system underneath and the canes i cut back were very, very long. I've only gotten a few blooms yet though it might bloom more of course, and it also might be reacting to the severe haircut it received last fall. One other thing about it...it produced a baby about a foot away from it. That rose is already getting sizeable. On that link in your other thread, it says that Dorothy Perkins roots very easily and often sparks other roses off of it. Maybe this is another clue that it is a Dorothy Perkins?

• beth1
    18 years ago

Take a look at the other pic I posted & see what you think. As soon as you get some pics of yours, I'd love to see them. ;-)

Here is a link that might be useful:

• shellfleur
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Beth, it's hard to tell. Remember that my rose was hacked way back last year and now looks like a bush gone wild. It has a million canes and vigorous growth, though few blooms at this point. Last week I put wires across the fence behind the rose and started to train the canes upward. Your rose does look like mine though...glossy, serrated foliage, smallish leaves and blooms...blooms are either the color in your pic or a lighter shade of pink.

• beth1
    18 years ago

Mine too is a very vigorous grower... it puts off a lot of shoots at the bottom as well as on the canes themselves. Would love to be able to ID it for sure. Mine tends to be from a very soft pink to a medium pink in color... it varies. I need to try & get a few close up shots of my vines, etc. Sure wish it was blooming now so that I could get a few more closeups of the blooms & get a petal count. Oh well, just have to wait another year on that! LOL

• seagull
    18 years ago

It looks just like my rose rambler too. The original plant was at a seaside cottage and it rambled over the fence(the original was ripped out and discarded for so called "progress". people from my home town area got cuttings from it for years and it now grows all over the place. I have only seen it growing on the south shore of Nova Scotia(except for my yard in the Annapolis Valley). It is an oldie. I remember it as a kid and I am 39 again for the 16th time! ;)) An antique rose dealer told me the name of it and it was a lady's name, but I forgot. the leaves are small too and palish green but glossy. it roots easily, no hips, pale pink that fades, small blooms, low scent, very hardy. when it blooms I'll post pics of mine.I would love to know its name too.

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional