Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firstyear_gw

Help identifying type of rose

firstyear
14 years ago

My wife and I moved into a new house last fall that the previous owner had moved into a nursing home and let the yard maintenance "slip" a bit. About two months ago, I cut down an extremely large and invasive barberry that had killed off an Azalea and was in the process of choking off a second one. Afer the dust settled, I discovered I also had chopped down a rose bush, leaving just two inch stubs.

Here's what I know:

1) There were about 10 main shoots at the base that I had chopped off.

2) In the past 2 months, the rose bush has put out many (> 10) new shoots that have regrown to 2-3 feet.

3) The growth is spreading outward rather than upright. Only a couple shoots are growing upwards and they tend to be shorter, the rest are all tending to grow outwards 6-12 inches off the ground

4) There are no sideshoots. Not a single one.

5) The shoots have 7 or 9 leaves.

6) No blooms or starts (yet).

7) I found a tag on the ground in some leaves for a David Austin Golden Celebration. Could this be it? All the other roses around the yard are hybrid teas.

I really have no idea of the type of rose or what I should do with it. Do I just let it grow on its own, do I trellis it, is it junk that should be removed? Do I prune or not? Any thoughts from anyone?

Thanks.

Comments (4)