Return to the Name That Rose Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help identifying type of rose

Posted by firstyear 6 MA (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 11, 09 at 9:46

My wife and I moved into a new house last fall that the previous owner had moved into a nursing home and let the yard maintenance "slip" a bit. About two months ago, I cut down an extremely large and invasive barberry that had killed off an Azalea and was in the process of choking off a second one. Afer the dust settled, I discovered I also had chopped down a rose bush, leaving just two inch stubs.

Here's what I know:

1) There were about 10 main shoots at the base that I had chopped off.
2) In the past 2 months, the rose bush has put out many (> 10) new shoots that have regrown to 2-3 feet.
3) The growth is spreading outward rather than upright. Only a couple shoots are growing upwards and they tend to be shorter, the rest are all tending to grow outwards 6-12 inches off the ground
4) There are no sideshoots. Not a single one.
5) The shoots have 7 or 9 leaves.
6) No blooms or starts (yet).
7) I found a tag on the ground in some leaves for a David Austin Golden Celebration. Could this be it? All the other roses around the yard are hybrid teas.

I really have no idea of the type of rose or what I should do with it. Do I just let it grow on its own, do I trellis it, is it junk that should be removed? Do I prune or not? Any thoughts from anyone?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help identifying type of rose

You'll have to wait until it blooms so that we can provide more help. It is possible that what you have left is rootstock (the usual one is a red climber named Dr. Huey), but again, you won't know until it blooms. Try not to cut it back again until it blooms. If it is Dr. Huey, or another once bloomer, it may not bloom until next year.

o

You are describing 'Dr. Huey', the understock your 'Golden Celebration' was grafted to. When this happens, its usually too late to save the plant and it should be dug up and replaced. 'Dr. Huey' is useless as a garden shrub, IMO.

o

Thank you both. Saves me a lot of trouble and effort. What is it that makes 'Dr. Huey' so useless? The single blooming?

o

It's an older climbing variety. I find the informal clusters of deep red blooms pretty.

The once-blooming part is not a problem for me, but in my garden it tends to get some powdery mildew in the summer.

Also, Dr. Huey usually gets too big for the spot where it was planted, originally intended for the smaller, top-grafted variety.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Rose Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here