Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
millieon

need ID please 'PIC'

millieon
18 years ago

Last year I bought Heritage, Abraham Darby and Othello. Well this is the first bloom and it sure does not look like Othello. As we are planning to move I dug them up and put them in pots this spring but now am not sure if I want this one.

Is it a rose a does anyone know the name of it.

Thank you.

Millie

Comments (10)

• sueto
    18 years ago

LOL Millie! Imagine running in to you here. Posted an answer to you on Canadian Gardening... re rootstock. Hopefully somebody here can tell you specifically what it is.

SueF (Sue-chef)

• ramblinrosez7b
    18 years ago

Hi Millie, we have these growing all around our home, some kind of wild rose. It has a wonderful scent. I will try and get a photo tomorrow.

• rosyone
    18 years ago

Looks like Rosa multiflora.

• northspruce
    18 years ago

I think that is multiflora. The rootstock of choice for Canadian rose growing. Sure doesn't look like the pic on the tags does it? Haha sorry I shouldnt laugh but it is as opposite as a rose can be...

• millieon
    Original Author
    18 years ago

LOL Sue. Thanks for responding and you are correct it is Multiflora and this is what I found out about her.

It blooms only in spring and is used as a rootstock for grafting roses.

Common names: Multiflora rose, baby rose, Japanese rose, seven-sisters rose, rambler rose, multiflowered rose

http://www.issg.org/database/species/ecology.asp?si=215&fr=1&sts=
    R. multiflora is a perennial shrub that forms dense, impenetrable thickets of vegetation . It colonizes roadsides, old fields, pastures, prairies, savannas, open woodlands, and forest edges, and may also invade dense forests where disturbance provides canopy gaps. It reproduces by seed and by forming new plants that root from the tips of arching canes that contact the ground. R. multiflora is tolerant of a wide range of soil and environmental conditions and is thought to be limited by intolerance to extreme cold temperatures. Many species of birds and mammals feed on the hips of R. multiflora, dispersing the seeds widely. R. multiflora can colonize gaps in late-successional forests, even though these forests are thought to be relatively resistant to invasion by nonnative species. It invades pasture areas, degrades forage quality, reduces grazing area and agricultural productivity and can cause severe eye and skin irritation in cattle. There are many strategies available to manage and control R. multiflora involving physical, chemical, and biological means.

Negative Impacts
    Once planted for erosion control, multiflora rose is now a widespread weed that is extremely difficult to control and eradicate because of the large number of seeds produced per individual. Various species of mammal and bird facilitate dispersion. Thickets are often formed that shade out native species.

OTHER STATUS:
    Multiflora rose is designated as a "noxious weed" in Wisconsin, Missouri, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia, a "secondary noxious weed" in Iowa, and as a "county-level noxious weed" in Kansas. It is a "regulated plant" in Ohio, a "regulated non-native plant species" in South Dakota. Maryland and Wisconsin list it as a "nuisance weed" [80,84]. Multiflora rose is listed by the state of Vermont as a Category II plant: "exotic plant species considered to have the potential to displace native plants either on a localized or widespread scale" [85]. For more information see Invaders Database or Plants Database.

Thank you to all for responding so quickly.
    Millie

• ramblinrosez7b
    18 years ago

Hi Millie, well I was able to get some photos of this wonderful "weed" which we have growing so abundantly in our yard and all around the neighborhood. Thanks for all the info you posted about it. I am going to keep it for the future in case someone asks about this rose.
    {{gwi:1223618}}
    The Branches (are they the same as yours?)
    {{gwi:1223619}}
    {{gwi:1223620}}

• barbie
    18 years ago

multiflora

• millieon
    Original Author
    18 years ago

WOW Rambling Rose! She sure is huge. Thanks for the photos.

Yes the branches are same.

She looks beautiful in your surroundings.

• ramblinrosez7b
    18 years ago

Yea she is a big one. But that in the photo is just a small section of it. We have acres and acres of woods throughout the neighborhood filled with it.
    This is a different view of it on some of our property.
    {{gwi:1223621}}
    {{gwi:1223622}}

• millieon
    Original Author
    18 years ago

No wonder she looks happy, she has plenty of room.

Nice property!