Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cu_gardener

Stunted Rose in New House Garden

cu_gardener
17 years ago

Hello! I just moved into a new home in the Front Range of Colorado. The house came with some roses that are still alive but in need of some TLC. This rose is planted behind/below a pear tree and between some dogwoods... the location seems terrible! It doesn't get full sun and isn't part of the drip system, either. I am considering moving it as it is very short (about 1.5 feet tall). It produces very large, gorgeous blooms on silly short stems!

Now for questions:

1. Any idea what type of rose this is? I don't want to move it if it likes some shade or is supposed to be shorter.

2. Can I move it anytime, or do you recommend that I wait until it stops blooming?

Thanks so much for your help!

Image link:

Comments (7)

• cjbspokane
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Could you post a picture of your rose? The type of rose can make a difference when transplanting. Some types have more extensive root systems than others.

In general, the best time to move roses is in the spring. If you are a more experienced gardener and can work quickly and are willing to give the plant a good pruning, you can transplant in the summer. You can also transplant in the fall, not as ideal as spring, but far better than in the summer.

Still, if you could post a picture of the rose, I bet someone here could give you even better information. Shrubs and old garden roses are trickier to transplant.

• cu_gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi! Thanks for your response. I believe the picture is provided in the "image link" of the original post. Can you see it?

• cjbspokane
    17 years ago

I shouldn't post messages before I have my coffee. Your picture came through just fine - I wasn't just being groggy! Your rose is lovely. When you get fuller blooms, you should post them on the identification forum. People are very nice and helpful there.

When you get I was thinking about it and I say just go ahead and transplant it. The location is so poor for a rose and it is a small plant. I can't imagine it has developed an extensive root system where it is located.

I have not heard of a rose that prefers shade, though some do better with some shade during the afternoon if you live in a very hot climate.

I'm guessing the stunted growth is because of its location - lack of sun and the competition with the trees for water and nutrients.

Your rose is so lovely though, I would take a cutting of it first - just in case. I found a good article on transplanting roses and I will post a section from it below. Good luck - it really is a pretty rose.

"Prepare your new bed according to the correct planting methods. Dig a large hole to accommodate your plant--larger than you think necessary. Realize that you have a clump of soil together with roots rather than a bare-root plant. In order to make the digging easier and to keep the clump intact you may wish to soak the plant two days before digging. Build a small mound in the center of the hole on which to place the plant. This helps to prevent air pockets. Pick a day which is mild, calm and cloudy, if possible, when rain is predicted. With the spade, cut a circle around the plant which is to be moved. Take as large a root/soil ball as you can comfortably lift. Dig quickly, lift and probe occasionally to discover if the bush is moving or where the roots may be anchored. Lift the root ball and take along as much soil as possible so the root system is least disturbed. Place this on a wooden board or burlap or in the wheelbarrow.

Check the plant quickly for disease, then cover. Be especially careful not to unnecessarily expose the fine, white feeder roots to air, sun or wind. Now proceed to place the newly dug bush in the freshly prepared site, spreading out and pointing exposed roots and rootlets.

Mix in 1/2 to one cup of bone meal and Mag-Amp around the root system. Superphosphate can be used in place of or in addition to bone meal but keep it away from the roots. Be sure you set the bush slightly higher than before, as it will settle one to three inches. The bud union should therefore be one to two inches above ground level. Sprinkle and fill in thoroughly around the root system with prepared soil. Pour water in. Allow it to settle, bonding roots with soil, and carefully press slightly on the plant to help eliminate air pockets.

Now prune out the twiggy, spindly growths and the stems which grow toward the center of the bush, leaving three to five good, strong canes. (These should be at least the size of your index finger and not thinner than a pencil). Prune at an angle of 45 degrees and cut down to the point where you see true white pith in the center of the cane. If you notice a bud eye emerging, cut to 1/8 inch above this. It should face toward the outside of the cane. After planting and pruning, it is advisable to spray against fungus.

At the very least, cover the bud union with soil to preserve it from drying. The rest of the bush can be protected with soil or a rose cone or a white plastic bag, the stronger the plastic, the better. Keep the plant covered for 7 - 10 days and check periodically for dryness. Above all, keep it wet. Studies have shown that this is the primary factor which insures success in transplanting.

When to uncover? On a dark, warm day toward evening, when there is no wind. If rain is expected, this is ideal. Check to see if the canes are healthy and green. Over the course of several days, wash away the soil with a stream of water from the hose, being careful not to break off any new shoots."

• cjbspokane
    17 years ago

Boy, I am being a ditz this morning. You are already posting in the identification forum!

The location of your rose made me wonder - it really is such an unusual place for a rose. Could it have been intentional? I couldn't think of any roses that do well in the shade, but I checked online and found an article that lists roses that do well in partial shade. The link to the article is below. I'll compare your rose to those listed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shade roses

• cu_gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for all your help, cjbspokane.

At first I thought the shady site was intentional as well, but now I'm doubting it. I think the previous owners of the house were just confused. I say so because they planted a desert peace rose in the shade as well, which I know is a full sun rose. The desert peace is also VERY stunted. There is one other rose bush that came with the house--a lovely red variety--which is located in full sun and has grown to 3X the size of the other roses.

The pink rose in question was actually completely covered by overgrown dogwood shrubs until I pruned the dogwoods back and discovered the rose. What a treasure!

Thanks for the advice on taking a cutting. I think that is a good idea, in the event that the main plant doesn't survive the relocation.

I'll post another picture once the blooms are open... hopefully then someone can identify it so that I know what I am working with.

Thanks again for your help!

• cjbspokane
    17 years ago

The previous owners of our home did some goofy things as well, but it makes the satisfaction of creating a new garden that much nicer. I look forward to seeing pictures of it in bloom. Good luck and have a great day!

• gypsygirl_ky
    17 years ago

I always relocate when the weather cools down. But if you relocate it now just be sure to throw some bonemeal in the bottom of the hole and water well for at least two weeks. I havent lost a rose doing it this way yet. That rose is gorgeous btw. Wish I knew what it was. I am having problems with a rose being identified myself, but it is unusual as far as leaf count and cane color. Good luck to both of us I guess, lol.

Sponsored
Style Savvy Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Luxurious Interior Designer & Decorator