Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mcs_nh

No one can identify this yellow rose - HELP!

mcs_nh
16 years ago

I live in Windham, NH and was given this beautiful yellow rose bush in 2002 as a anniversary gift. I am so sad because now it appears dead and I want to replace it.

It did have a tag # on it, but we can't read it.

I haven't been able to find anyone that can help me identify what type of rose this is and its name.

Any suggestions or guesses?

Please see my photos - the last picture is the sad one

Here is a link that might be useful: Yellow Rose Bush

Comments (15)

• stephanotis_1
    16 years ago

It was beautiful! I'm sorry I don't have a guess for you, but I have read not to plant a new rose in a hole where another one has died, in case you were planning to put it in that spot. I hope you find out what the name is!

• mcs_nh
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the post! Good advice - I didn't know that, so thank you for the heads up!

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    16 years ago

It is just fine to plant in the same hole unless the plant had root gall (abnormal growth on the roots). We don't have much "rose replant disease" here in the US.

Now, on to the ID. Is the rose fragrant? Coloring is somewhat similar to Gold Medal, but the bloom form might not be correct.

• garden2garden
    16 years ago

Isn't there any way to find out where the person who gave it to you got it from? That will help to identify it.

Can you read any of the tag?

It sure is/was pretty. Did it die back over the winter or what?

• mcs_nh
    Original Author
    16 years ago

My friend bought it from Lake Street Garden. I believe it died over the winter. The tag can not be read which annoys me tremendously. I went to the same Garden Center my friend purchased the rose, but none of them seem the same. :-( Is it possible that the rose bush might come back?

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    16 years ago

Not from that photo that you posted of the plant now, it is way gone, no green, no plant.

You can try a search at Helpmefind.com yourself. Go to the link below. Click on the "Advanced Search" tab at the top of the page. click on "Class" then check the box next to "Hybrid Tea / Large-Flowered" then click the "Continue" button. Then, click "Bloom" and check the box next to "yellow blend [yb]", and "Continue". Then click the "Search" button on the right side. This brings up a list of roses matching those traits. You can click on each (there are a LOT) to see if there is a photo that matches.

You can repeat the search but under "Bloom" check off "medium yellow [my]" or "Deep yellow [dy]" instead.

Here is a link that might be useful: Search at Helpmefind.com

• garden2garden
    16 years ago

Maybe try talking to whoever ordered roses that year at Lake Street. They might remember what it is or remember what supplier it came from.

I don't know how big Windham is, but, keep an eye out around town, maybe someone else got one too. Is there a local rose society? They might prove to be helpful.

Oh, I meant to ask is it a metal tag on the rose? paper tag on the pot or what?

• garden2garden
    16 years ago

How about "Jean Giono"?

Here is a link that might be useful: Jean Giono at HMF

• york_rose
    16 years ago

If you haven't yet done so, why not take your pictures to the garden center and show them to one of the managers? If you find a knowledgeable manager who's been there long enough they might remember what it is you had. Is it possible that it's one of David Austin's roses?

• mcs_nh
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The Jean Giono is so similiar!

BTW - I went to the Garden Center and noticed that they do carry David Austin roses and they look almost identical to what I have. I will take the pictures to the garden center and see if they can help me confirm which one it might be.

Thank you EVERYONE so much for all your help and expertise!!

• BriosaFarm
    16 years ago

It looks a lot like Easy Going, which can be apricot/gold/yellow at times, deep golden yellow at others, medium yellow at others, depending on the weather; and the bloom form and shape is very changeable also...it can look like an Austin or have many fewer petals. Easy Going also has lighter green leaves which look like your pics.

• berndoodle
    16 years ago

Also looks a bit like Sophia Renaissance, which I'd expect to die in New Hampshire.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    16 years ago

You know the color is a dead ringer for Easy Going, and the foliage looks pretty Easy Going too, but the form is all wrong, and too many petals. It's a nice one, for sure. Similar to 'Molineux', but not quite...

• buffbeauty
    16 years ago

Reminds me of Golden Celebration in color and bloom size, but your petals are reflexed..see link.

Here is a link that might be useful: help me find Golden Celebration

• len511
    16 years ago

reminds me of soeur therese.