Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
silver_wlf

Old Garden Rose? Once bloomer ... pink...

silver_wlf
16 years ago

Hi!

Please help me identify this rose. It's own root and suckers prolifically. It only blooms once in the spring. It's susceptible to powdery mildew but not to black spot. It's REALLY thorny.

The flowers smell STRONGLY of rose. Kind of like some peonies with that roses & sugar smell. You can smell the bush from the sidewalk (4-5' away).

{{gwi:1223827}}

{{gwi:1223828}}

{{gwi:1223829}}

{{gwi:1223830}}

Comments (20)

• silver_wlf
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I should mention that the canes normally stand, but we've had a couple really good storms in the past 24 hours and it's looking a little beaten. The canes are at least 6' and it's cane-hardy right to the tips.

• Krista_5NY
    16 years ago

Kind of reminds me of the Damask rose La Ville de Bruxelles.

Here is a link that might be useful: La Ville de Bruxelles

• User
    16 years ago

Heres a good link for Gallica shots

Here is a link that might be useful: Gallicas

• norajolayne
    16 years ago

Hi;
    I became fascinated by this thread because I have the same Mystery Rose growing in my bed. In fact, It's now three roses, we renovated the garden and had a new spot planned for her, but this hardy belle's woody root stock was enormous, so we went with the flow, divided her, and now three plants are happily climbing up the garage wall!
    I thought she could be Charles Lawton (check out http://www.rdrop.com/~paul/bourbons/lawson.html) but that would not fit with my Edmonton Alberta zone 4, in which she is currently thriving.
    Then I thought maybe the ancient damask Kazanlik... http://www.amityheritageroses.com/WWWgraphics/Kazanlik.JPG which would fit as her perfume is amazing. http://woodlandrosegarden.com/american%20gardens/SJHRG%202002/thumb/kazanlik%203_thmb.jpg

The blooms retain their scent and most of their light pink color, even with drying. The bush is kind of awkward, sprawling.
    Excluded:
    Baltimore Belle (http://woodlandrosegarden.netfirms.com/american%20gardens/lynchburg%20cemetery%202003/baltimore%20belle%2019_f.jpg) crossed my mind but was excluded due to the glossier leaf of the Belle.
    She's not a rugosa (leaves are finer), a moss, or an alba (foliage color is dark yellowgreen).
    LA VILLE DE BRUXELLES- blooms are too small to be La Ville. Also not Terese Bugnet- which was a popular rose when this probably was planted probably 30 years ago, the leaves are wrong, and doesn't have striking red colored canes in winter.
    http://users.uniserve.ca/~tillyer/images/Therese%20Bugnet%202.jpg

So..Kazanlik? Some sport of a Kazanlik- wild rose cross?

• york_rose
    16 years ago

I'm not experienced enough to be considered by any means an expert, but you are describing the flowering behavior of a "Gallica". That doesn't mean it must be so since Rosa gallica's genes are in most of the garden roses, but it probably is either a Gallica, or one of the descendants that shows strong Gallica influence. (I think some of the "Damasks" show that, but I'm not sure.)

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    16 years ago

This looks identical to one I have growing here which I found along a roadside near an abondoned homestead. That and another rose (which I believe to be Tuscany) had suckered themselves across the old yard right up to and into the gravel road. I didn't have to trespass one tiny bit to rustle this rose, just opened the car door and scooped up a piece, LOL!
    I, too, have thought there might be some damask here as it is a bit different than most of my other gallicas, and a tad more tender (getting tip damage in winter here in zone 4.)

• boisenoise
    16 years ago

I'm trying to identify a mystery rose, too, that I think may be 'Kazanlik.' I'm pretty sure it's a damask of some kind! It's supposed to be 'York and Lancaster' but it's never done the two-colors-on-one-flower thing. Would you folks mind taking a look at my photos over on 'Name That Rose' forum, and let me know what you think? (York_rose, thanks so much for your comments on my other post, concerning semi-plena!)

Here is a link that might be useful: Kazanlik? York and Lancaster?

• silver_wlf
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Mine is definitely not Charles Lawson as the page says "the lithe canes are nearly thornless" - mine is ridiculously thorny. So bad that even with welding gloves it's not pleasant to work with... :o(

Kazanlik isn't an option either as it seems to have centres that are much larger than the ones on mine.

Mine's blooms look like La Ville (swirled and really tight) but the flowers are small - maybe 1.5-2". They open flat and fade to a lighter pink as they age.

I didn't notice any hips or cane colour-changes...

I'm glad I'm not the only one searching!! :o)

• boisenoise
    16 years ago

Could your rose be rosa centifolia, "the cabbage rose"?

Here is a link that might be useful: r. centifolia at helpmefind

• bgrose
    16 years ago

I am sure this rose is neither Kazanlik nor La Ville. It is either Ispahan or Blush Damask. Ispahan is a rose which has the longest blooming period of all damask. For how long does your rose bloom?

• RosariumRob
    16 years ago

Maybe Belle Isis?

• jumbojimmy
    15 years ago

I'm interested in this rose... so have you managed to find the name of this rose, yet silver_wl?

• jumbojimmy
    15 years ago

This rose reminds me of :

'Reine des Centfeuilles'

Am I right????

Here's the link to Helpmefindrose:

Here is a link that might be useful: rosa: 'Reine des Centfeuilles'

• generator_00
    15 years ago

Hi, has anyone figured out what rose this is? It sounds like something I am interested in if I can find out what kind it is. thanks

• margitalbertacanada
    15 years ago

The rose could be "Banshee". If you can find a few hips (it doesn't make many) they will be acorn shaped.
    Good luck.

• connie5
    15 years ago

I have a rose very similar to the La Ville de Bruxelles or Ispahan. It was planted in 1930 in memory of a family member and again on a cemetery in 1944. Spreads by underground roots. A little hard to transplant. Petals are very full over 40. Single color of pink but goes to white at the center of the petal and white on the back of the petal . Shape is open cupped. Petal shape is reflexed. The leaf surface is Matt and color is light to med-green. It flowers in W. PA. once mid-June into July. Slightly fragrant to fragrant. It flowers in clusters of 3 usually. (Florabunda ??). Size is 3 inches across. I have books upon books trying to figure it out. I'll have to wait until summer to post a picture, but wondered if by the description you can help. Thanks. Connie

• generator_00
    15 years ago

I was kind of thinking it might be banshee as well. I have several but they are young plants and the ones that I got from pickering had a whiter bloom on them this last spring.

• ashes_of_the_fire
    15 years ago

i have some that are very similar to that also except mine are white with a pink tinge, also very thorny very hardy and this may not help much but it is at least 30 years old as the bush was there when my grandfather bought the place over 30 years ago. mine are against the house and sheltered so they stand 6ft (a solid 5.5 at least) tall. we don't water them and they flower once in july (sometimes end of june, but are usually done by august) also smell very rosy, a little spicy, blooms are the same size.

we also have dark pink ones that grow wild and sporadically around the house and they bloom about the same time and are very small plants and smell like apples instead of rose.

i would love to know what this one is as mine is likely the same.

• User
    15 years ago

Its not 'Banshee', I can guarantee you that. It is a Gallica, however, and if blooms are on the small side (IE: under 3") then it is most likely 'Belle Isis'.

Regards,
    Paul

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

Flower stems appear to have some moss on them.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor