Return to the Name That Rose Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Post 2... Another pic of my climbing rose.

Posted by Beth1 z8LA (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 20, 05 at 11:19

Sorry, I didn't know how to add another pic to my first post. Here's a close of up the climbing rose in question

Image link: Post 2... Another pic of my climbing rose. (34 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Post 2... Another pic of my climbing rose.

• Posted by Ron_B USDA 8 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 20, 05 at 18:19

'Dorothy Perkins'.

o

Hi Ron,

I agree that it looks a lot like a 'Dorothy Perkins' but mine doesn't produce hips. Any other suggestions? ;o)

Thanks a bunch,
Beth

o

I thought I'd add a few more things that I know about this rose... it only has a faint hint of fragrance & it does not have any problems with mildew, etc. It is very hardy. I have it growing in full sun without any problems... and I live in Louisiana where we have very hot summers! ;o)

I'd really love to positively id this rose if possible. The old homeplace where it was dug up no longer exists. My husband said that years ago when he was a boy (he'll be 50 this year) that there was an old well on the place but not a house & he remembers the rose growing there even then. So-o-o it's obviously been around for a while. So I hope this all helps a little.

Blessings,
Beth

o

I believe that is 'Dorothy Perkins'. Dorothy does not produce hips, nor does it always have mildew problems.

Paul

o

Thanks Paul. What threw me off is that I've gotten conflicting info on the web. The link to the page below says that it produces 'bright orange, elongated hips' and mine doesn't nor does it have a strong fragrance.

Blessings,
Beth

Here is a link that might be useful: Dorothy Perkins

o

Flowers are too large & non-mildewing foliage not correct shape for 'Dorothy Perkins'. Most likely 'Lady Gay' (1905), an excellent rambler. BTW, the small-flowered wichurana ramblers are not generally known for great displays of hips.

o

Hi NEroseman,

I don't think 'Lady Gay' is it either. From the description of 'Lady Gay':

"Orange-pink & orange-pink blend blooms. Strong fragrance."

My rose tends to be a pale pink to pink in color & doesn't have much of a fragrance at all.
Man, this can be mind boggling with all the roses out there(Rubbing head)! LOL
It may be a while, since my rose only blooms once it year, but as soon as it blooms again I'm going
to try & get some more close up shots of it with a petal count, etc. ;o)

Blessings,
Beth

o

OK, Beth, & keep 'Lady Gay' on the possibilities list. She opens deep (cherry) pink & fades lighter pink, with a slight fragrance. Starts to bloom a week or so later than 'Dorothy Perkins'.

o

Thanks NEroseman, I will do that. If you come with anything else please let me know; I'm still looking. ;-)

Blessings,
Beth

o

It might be a jean lajoie.

o

Hi loveyone,

I did a little research on the 'Jeanne Lajoie' rose & this cannot be it. The 'Jeanne Lajoie' was bred in 1975 (we know for a fact that our rose is much older than this) and it is a repeat bloomer which ours is not. ;o)

Blessings,
Beth

o

Beth, I'm watching this thread with great interest--This is a beautiful Rose. Good luck. :)

o

Thanks Tenderheart, I appreciate it. ;-)

Blessings,
Beth

o

Is there a chance that this could be 'Seven Sisters'? Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. ;-)

Blessings,
Beth

This is a comment from someone at the Antique Rose Emporium:
"I think Dorothy Perkins is a good guess. Mildew can come and go without badly affecting these roses any year. Seven Sisters is another possibility as those were commonly used in the early 1900."

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Rose Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here