Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beth1_gw

Post 2... Another pic of my climbing rose.

beth1
18 years ago

Sorry, I didn't know how to add another pic to my first post. Here's a close of up the climbing rose in question

Image link:

Comments (14)

• Ron_B
    18 years ago

'Dorothy Perkins'.

• beth1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Ron,

I agree that it looks a lot like a 'Dorothy Perkins' but mine doesn't produce hips. Any other suggestions? ;o)

Thanks a bunch,
    Beth

• beth1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I thought I'd add a few more things that I know about this rose... it only has a faint hint of fragrance & it does not have any problems with mildew, etc. It is very hardy. I have it growing in full sun without any problems... and I live in Louisiana where we have very hot summers! ;o)

I'd really love to positively id this rose if possible. The old homeplace where it was dug up no longer exists. My husband said that years ago when he was a boy (he'll be 50 this year) that there was an old well on the place but not a house & he remembers the rose growing there even then. So-o-o it's obviously been around for a while. So I hope this all helps a little.

Blessings,
    Beth

• User
    18 years ago

I believe that is 'Dorothy Perkins'. Dorothy does not produce hips, nor does it always have mildew problems.

Paul

• beth1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Paul. What threw me off is that I've gotten conflicting info on the web. The link to the page below says that it produces 'bright orange, elongated hips' and mine doesn't nor does it have a strong fragrance.

Blessings,
    Beth

Here is a link that might be useful: Dorothy Perkins

• neroseman
    18 years ago

Flowers are too large & non-mildewing foliage not correct shape for 'Dorothy Perkins'. Most likely 'Lady Gay' (1905), an excellent rambler. BTW, the small-flowered wichurana ramblers are not generally known for great displays of hips.

• beth1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi NEroseman,

I don't think 'Lady Gay' is it either. From the description of 'Lady Gay':

"Orange-pink & orange-pink blend blooms. Strong fragrance."

My rose tends to be a pale pink to pink in color & doesn't have much of a fragrance at all.
    Man, this can be mind boggling with all the roses out there(Rubbing head)! LOL
    It may be a while, since my rose only blooms once it year, but as soon as it blooms again I'm going
    to try & get some more close up shots of it with a petal count, etc. ;o)

Blessings,
    Beth

• neroseman
    18 years ago

OK, Beth, & keep 'Lady Gay' on the possibilities list. She opens deep (cherry) pink & fades lighter pink, with a slight fragrance. Starts to bloom a week or so later than 'Dorothy Perkins'.

• beth1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks NEroseman, I will do that. If you come with anything else please let me know; I'm still looking. ;-)

Blessings,
    Beth

• loveyone
    18 years ago

It might be a jean lajoie.

• beth1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi loveyone,

I did a little research on the 'Jeanne Lajoie' rose & this cannot be it. The 'Jeanne Lajoie' was bred in 1975 (we know for a fact that our rose is much older than this) and it is a repeat bloomer which ours is not. ;o)

Blessings,
    Beth

• Tenderheart_Zone5
    18 years ago

Beth, I'm watching this thread with great interest--This is a beautiful Rose. Good luck. :)

• beth1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Tenderheart, I appreciate it. ;-)

Blessings,
    Beth

• beth1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Is there a chance that this could be 'Seven Sisters'? Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. ;-)

Blessings,
    Beth

This is a comment from someone at the Antique Rose Emporium:
    "I think Dorothy Perkins is a good guess. Mildew can come and go without badly affecting these roses any year. Seven Sisters is another possibility as those were commonly used in the early 1900."

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County