Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunflowersrus222

Can you name this rose?

sunflowersrus222
10 years ago

This rose bush has been with the house since we bought it 20+ years ago. When we first moved in it was planted under a very shady tree and didn't bloom much at all so I moved it to a sunnier side of the yard. It grows 5 to 6 feet tall and is bushy on top not the bottom. I've always wondered what type of rose it is. Can anyone help ID this rose? It does not bloom all summer. It basically blooms in spring till June and then nothing. Its never had a mold problem but does tend to get a lot of bugs such as those worms under the leaves and your typical aphid infestation now and then if that helps to identify. edited to add that it gets long arching canes on the top that will go out to the sides about 3 feet.

This post was edited by sunflowersrus222 on Sat, Jun 1, 13 at 11:55

Comments (7)

• sunflowersrus222
    Original Author
    10 years ago

here is another photo where you can see the clusters of buds.

• sunflowersrus222
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just looked up Dr. Huey roses and saw several photos that look just like my bush. Then read the description and have to say I'm pretty sure I have another Dr. Huey rose bush. I say another because one of my other bushes seems to have been grafted onto a Dr. Huey and now the Dr. Huey is taking over. There are light pink as well as dark red blooming along the same stalks. Oh well. Haven't gotten any of the pink with whitish strips in a few years so I think its too late to save that rose bush. Guess I'm stuck with 2 Dr. Huey bushes. They both bloom only once and then they're done. sigh If I knew someone who wanted them I would dig up at least one of them and give it a new home.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Can you post pictures of the rose that is blooming two different colors? If there is anything left of the other rose you could try to save it by taking off the Dr. Huey. Do not just cut it off at the ground. You need to dig down around the base and RIP off the canes as far down as possible. You want to do damage to the root at that point so it will not resprout.

As for the other one, you are not "stuck" with it if you don't want it. There are lots of other beautiful roses you can replace it with that will grow just as well and bloom all season. We call it shovel pruning, lol!

• sunflowersrus222
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've tried getting photos of the pink blooms but they don't come out so well. They are growing off of the same stems as the red ones. Maybe they are just getting too much sun so getting bleached out? Don't know. I'll post what I have and maybe you can see what I can't in the photo. I also took a photo of the root / bottom of the bush. I'll post that next.

• sunflowersrus222
    Original Author
    10 years ago

here is the root/bottom of the rose bush in the photo above. On the far right you can see sticking out of the ground a bit of stem that had died off. It seemed to be off on its own. I think that is where my yellow roses were coming from but it died off and now all I have left is the Dr. Huey.

• sunflowersrus222
    Original Author
    10 years ago

now that there is some shade I am able to get a better photo of that pink bloom sprouting out of the same branch as the red blooms. Strange how that happens. Its not on a separate lone branch or anything like that. its coming right out on the same branch as all the dark red ones are. Please excuse the busted up fence in the background. The fence belongs to our neighbor and she refuses to replace it. Instead she just patches things up. ugh!!! back to the rose... This rose bush was all yellow when I bought it. One or 2 years I had all yellow blooms. The next year nothing but red. The root photo above is the roots to this same rose bush. I'm sure it was grafted and the grafted yellow rose died off and now I have the dr. huey left.

This post was edited by sunflowersrus222 on Sat, Jun 1, 13 at 15:36

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

That's definitely root stock then. The pink bloom may just be a mutation or "sport" or it could be caused by earlier weather conditions. It's up to you if you want to keep it or dig it up and replace your yellow rose or not.