Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
apmom99

Lavender, fragrant, Hybrid Tea

apmom99
18 years ago

Hello all,

I'd like help identifying this rose I have in my front garden. I've tried searching at Helpmefind.com but I can't seem to narrow it down much at all. It is a medium size bloom- about 4.5" across, borne one bloom per stem. The coloring is very similar to Lavender Lace, Sterling Silver, Stainless Steel, etc. a very nice lavender/mauve. There are approx 40 petals on the two blooms I've counted. It seems pretty disease resistant compared to the the others in the front- no powdery mildew or blackspot so far this year. The foliage is medium-to-large, medium green, new growth purplish (not as red as my Betty Boop). This rose has a strong fragrance, but I'm not good at describing different 'flavors' or scents.

Photo here: http://heidi.nybble.net/wp-content/lavendar.jpg

Any ideas?

Image link:

Comments (13)

• johnreb_va7
    18 years ago

At first glance it looks like the hybrid-tea Blue Girl (the version also called TANsi, introduced in 1964 by Tantau.) Intense fragrance, 4-inch blooms, averages 40 petals per bloom. The TANsi Blue Girl rose is a descendant of Sterling Silver.

It is often confused KORgi, another light-lavender HT having the same Blue Girl name and year-of-introduction (but bred by Kordes, and thus its called KORgi). The ARS says the KORgi Blue Girl has dark-green leaves and moderate/mild fragrance. Neither of those two ID-characterisitcs match up with your description of your rose.

Regards,
    JohnReb

• apmom99
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks! I took a peek at Helpmefind, and I agree that if it is a Blue Girl it must be the TANsi, because mine definitely doesn't have multiple blooms like the photos of KORgi. The pics of Sterling Silver look very similar, too!

• johnreb_va7
    18 years ago

The ARS description for Sterling Silver says it averages 30 petals per bloom. That's well below the 40 (average from two blooms) you mentioned ...so I discarded Sterling Silver.

By the way, I grow both Sterling Silver and BlueGirl/TANsi. In my opinion, Sterling's petals are "shorter" than Blue Girl/TANsi's petals.

Something else that may help you figure out if it's Sterling Silver or Blue Girl/TANsi is that Sterling tends to stay uncommonly short for a hybrid-tea rose. HMF's description says 24-inches - though mine has gotten as high as about 36 inches.

Also, HMF says Sterling's average bloom-diameter is 3.5 inches. You said your rose's blooms tend to be 4.5 inches.

Regards,
    JohnReb

• brenhelms
    18 years ago

May I suggest Moonlight Magic? It is a hybid tea, same color, and very fragrant.

Here is a link that might be useful: HelpMeFind

• apmom99
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I think the edges of the petals of Moonlight Magic are more 'ruffled' than the blooms I have- mine are very rounded and smooth. Thanks for your reply! I'm betting Blue Girl, since there is at least one mail ordered Lily Pons Sub Zero in that same garden, and I see in one of my catalogs leftover from the previous owners of the house that the place who carried Lily Pons carried Blue Girl as well.

• johnreb_va7
    18 years ago

Hi Brenhelms. : ) I know (and really love) Moonlight Magic. I have three Moonlight Magic bushes. (Should be four, but I lost one due to winter-kill and nobody in my area was seeling it this Spring.) Among the 3 light-lavender varieites I grow, it is my top favortie - even ahead of Blue Girl.

I did not suggest Moonlight Magic as an identity-candidate to Apmom99 because in my yard, Moonlight Magic's color is a bit darker than Blue Girl - and often shows some deep-lavender "blushing" on the petals' lips. Also, at least in my yard, Moonlight Magic's petal-count tends to average 8-to-10 more petals than Blue Girl's average of 40.

Here's one other difference I've noticed between Blue Girl and Moonlight Magic. It's in their behavior as a cut flower. Blue Girl tends to not open up a lot further than the bloom-stage it was in when you cut it at ...whereas a cut Moonlight Magic bloom will continue opening up (all the way to fully-open).

Got any idea where I can buy a replacement for my missing "4th" Moonlight Magic?

Regards,
    JohnReb

• brenhelms
    18 years ago

Hi JohnReb-I happened upon my Moonlight Magic at a local grocery store, of all places. In our area, where nurseries are pretty scarce, the local grocery stores/hardware departments are actually offering a pretty good selection-with minimal mislabeling. Wish I could help on where to locate one...I feel lucky to have found mine, as the smell is heavenly! (I paired it with my Frau Karls so the scents wouldn't clash.)

• sgsmith318
    18 years ago

I have Stainless Steel, and the color is the same, fragrance is lovely, but my SS blooms are not quite as loose as this one. Could be it, though.

Stef

• georgiagirl_in_fl
    18 years ago

What about Lagerfeld?

Here is a link that might be useful: lagerfeld

• brenhelms
    18 years ago

JohnReb-about the petals blushing on the lip-I recently moved mine to more shade and have noticed within the last few days that my current blooms appear to be doing the same. Are yours located in some shade, too? It would be interesting to know if this is what is happening. Both my Granada and Arizona were located in this same location (sun with some shade in the afternoon), and both were more pink then than they are now (where they have full sun all day).

{{gwi:1224195}}

I think you can tell the darker color on the edges of the outer blooms-is this what you are referring to as "blush"?

• apmom99
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Definintely not a Grandiflora here Georgia Girl- these only bloom one per stem. And the petal count for Lagerfeld is only 30. Thanks again, everyone- as soon as I get a chance, I need to post the white Hybrid Tea for ideas on identification, too. Everyone has been so helpful!

• angelsmell
    18 years ago

I have Sterling silver, Lagerfeld, Heirloom and Blue Girl, it looks like Blue Girl to me!

• angelsmell
    18 years ago

I have Sterling silver, Lagerfeld, Heirloom and Blue Girl, it looks like Blue Girl to me!