Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
osromatra

Some kind of Rugosa?

osromatra
15 years ago

This house used to be my great great grandmothers but was sold to non-family people about 20 years ago. My mom remembers her uncle planting a rose bush where our mystery rose is now, so we assuming it's the same rose and not something a previous owner in between us and my great great grandmother. I am totally a rose newbie, actually a newbie in all gardening aspects to be honest. But I am certain it is a rose. It has a distinct rose smell, very fragrant in full bloom, and everyone that sees it agrees that it is a rose. I was confused at first though b/c it doesn't look like what you think of when you hear the word rose. I never knew there was such variety!

After looking around on the web, I am pretty sure it is either a rugosa or some variant/hybrid of a rugosa. Here's what I know about it-

-magenta petals, blending into white/pink near the stamens, which are yellow/brown.

-I counted and found a total of 11 petals on all three of my current blooms. That is why I am confused about it being rugosa. It's possible I am missing a petal or perhaps a bug/weather has pulled away the 12th petal. Unless it's normal for 11 petals? Again, I am a total newbie. LOL

-It has several rounds of blooms, it started around late March/early April this year, we've had an early spring. It's made about 4 rounds of blooms so far. My granny has been dead-heading it, not sure if that makes a difference.

-I have never noticed hips, but I am not sure it's healthy enough to put out hips or not, or if there is something I should do that encourages it.

-It is not too thorny. I mean, there are thorns and they are big/thick but they are sparse enough to be easily dodged in pruning and such.

-The stalks look sort of woody.

-New leaves/growth are reddish/purple.

-The leaves aren't particularly wrinkly, another reason I am confused about it being a rugosa. And the stalks aren't "hirsute" aka hairy. As a matter of fact, there are parts that are incredibly smooth.

-As far as leaflets go, they are mostly 3s and 5s but I do see an occasional 7.

-My mother-in-law heavily pruned it about 3 weeks ago and it helped it a lot. The previous owner said he never did anything but fertilize it once.

-It's blooms are all bunched together in a group.

Here are some pictures-the first picture you can see the yellow stamen and also how the blooms are all in a group together. Ignore the little bee. :)

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc192/osromatra/video/rose%20bush/rosa3.jpg

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc192/osromatra/video/rose%20bush/rosa2.jpg

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc192/osromatra/video/rose%20bush/rosa1.jpg

Thank you so much!

Comments (3)

• lionheart_gw (USDA Zone 5A, Eastern NY)
    15 years ago

Hi!

Yes, it's a rose. No, it's not a Rugosa to my eyes.

It looks a lot like Dr. Huey, which is very often used as a rootstock for grafting other roses. When the rose that was originally grafted onto it dies, Dr. Huey takes over. That is what causes Dr. Huey to be quite common in a lot of places.

Link to photos of the good doctor below.

But.....Dr. Huey was a very popular rose in the 1920s and 1930s. It's tough, it's a survivor, and it's easy to grow. That's how it became a popular rootstock later on.

You mention that it is very fragrant. Under the best of circumstances, I've only found Dr. Huey to be mildly fragrant, so it may be something else entirely. Either that or you have a very good sense of smell. :-)

Another hint that it might be the doctor is that it only blooms once a year. Doctor Huey *might* set a hip or two occasionally, but I've never seen it do so. Some roses set hips, and some roses set few or no hips.

Hopefully we'll get some more feedback on your rose. Regardless, enjoy it. Roses should always be appreciated.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dr. Huey?

• olga_6b
    15 years ago

Definitely not rugosa. Is the color true or it is more purple in real life?
    Olga

• osromatra
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The color is mostly true, I'd say some are a dark hot pink but most are sort of a fuschia red.

It definitely blooms all summer, I remember it going on and on last year, even despite no attention to it for so long.

Sponsored
Custom Decks, Patios & Outdoor Enclosures Solutions in Loudoun County