Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
solicitr

A Bulletproof Red Hybrid Tea???

solicitr
16 years ago

I could take a machete and hack out enough space to take a picture; but if I posted one, you'd just say, "Oh, that's 'Mr Lincoln.'" After all, this rose matches in all respects: large deep crimson velvety flowers in loose longstemmed Grandiflora-like sprays, powerful fragrance, stiff, upright growth to 5-6 feet, large bright green semiglossy foliage, moderately well-armed, etc etc. All respects but two, in fact:

1) New growth is green, not at all pinkish.

2) It's not dead.

You see, here in Richmond, where the fungal diseases eat Rugosas for breakfast, this Hybrid Tea is growing abandoned in the woods at the base of an oak tree, in complete shade, packed around with dense undergrowth with zero air circulation--yet it's growing and blooming like gangbusters. There is an occasional spotted leaf, but no more than one would expect on, say, Old Blush or a similar ironclad, and the bush is plainly unimpaired.

So what on earth is this beast- a perfect classic Valentine's bouquet rose which isn't in the least fussy, weak, high-maintenance, etc etc- all those lovely attributes traditionally associated with 'Chrysler Imperial' and its descendants?

I would say the candidates are limited to cultivars widely available in the last 15 years, given the age of the neighborhood.

p.s. No, it's not even remotely like 'Dr Huey.' This is absolutely, positively not a rootstock rose.

Comment (1)