Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosetom_gw

Another for JohnReb - Yellow/Orange/Salmon/Pink MONSTER

rosetom
18 years ago

I noticed on your long-lasting roses post that you have:

Arizona (yellow/orange bend blushing coral-red)

Montezuma (pinkish coral-orange)

Coral Sea (coral-orange)

Today (very bright true tangerine-skin orange)

Seashell (coral/orange-red blend fades eventually to orange-pink)

If you also had Folklore, you'd have the full house of all of my likely candidates. I have defaulted to calling it Folklore, because both bushes (have 2 - both labeled Sunsprite in Walmart bodybags, ha, ha!) reached 12 feet in the first year! How's that for Wally World bodybag performance?

Anyway, it's generally an orange blend, with yellow bases both inside and out. The flowers age to salmon/pink/coral, with very little yellow left. Buds are small and short, and almost consistently solid orange. However, the yellow base is prominent as soon as it starts to open. The flowers have 50+ petals, with an open, definite cup, but not very tall centers. Form is held fairly well as the outer petals reflex slightly, giving an aging form appearance similar to Fragrant Cloud. In fact, completely aged blooms of Fragrant Cloud, Tropicana, and this rose are difficult to tell apart. However, due to the multi-color trait of a newly opened flower, many color variations exist at various stages and with different amounts of sun. Blooms are a little on the small side, perhaps 4", maybe 4 1/2" at most. There has never been any detectable fragrance.

The leaves are fairly thin, lacking substance, but large - longer than broad, with pointed tips. Leaves are not very red when new, but a red leaf border lasts on the edges a long time before the whole leaf finally matures into a medium dark green. Stems are perfectly vertical, but have a distinct zig-zag caused by each leaflet branch. This zig-zag does not exist on any other of my roses. The stems are medium thorny, and the blooms are usually one to a stem, but they may cluster up to 3 or 5 occasionally. Only Voodoo is more vigorous. These take the form of a Poplar tree, very vertical, but still slightly urned shape. Flushes can be 2 or 3 dozen blooms, and there is almost always 4-6 blooms on the bush at all times. Every new shoot grows 3 feet or more before attempting to form a bud.

As I said, I've called them Folklores, because of their height, coloration, and I believe I read the zig-zag stems was another trait. However, they have never had any fragrance, and the form is not high-centered except in early bud.

Lots of pics - First flower shot is pretty typical of the form and coloring of a brand new opening. It ages quickly to an overall salmon pink from that. The other three flower shots are probably much better form than typically displayed - which is why I took the pictures!

{{gwi:1224255}}{{gwi:1224257}}
{{gwi:1224259}}
{{gwi:1224260}}{{gwi:1224261}}
{{gwi:1224262}}
{{gwi:1224263}}

Comments (8)

• johnreb_va7
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Yeah, I don't have Folklore ...yet. ;-)

Let's get the top-level eliminations done first of all. Your photos and description show me your mystery-rose is definitely *not*
    Seashell
    Today
    Coral Sea
    Montezuma.

Folklore's fragrance is rated as Intense ...and its leaves are rated as Glossy.

I'm also leaning away from your orange mystery-rose being Arizona ...whose petals tend to quill noticeably more than yours appear to. But as we've all seen, Arizona blooms look so different in so many locations, I can't quite count it out entirely.

Your photos and your description of the blooms' form and color, and the bush's growth-habit (very tall & "narrow"), immediately reminded me of a rose in my yard that I forgot to include on my "Long-Lasting Blooms" list.
    It is Sundowner - which is a grandiflora, thus matching your rose's bloom-habit. Take a look at the photos at HelpMeFind.

Also "matching" is the fact that my two Sundowner bushes were purchased as bodybags at WalMart, like yours. But mine were correctly labeled ...I think. ;-)

As I said, your desription of your rose's blooms and their "behavior" matches my Sundowner perfectly. But... mine has at least medium-strength fragrance. Also, its older leaves have leathery texture ...but not what I'd call "very" leathery. To my eyes, they are medium-green, and at least somewhat semi-glossy.

You said your rose has "50+ petals." I've gotta ask, is that an estimation, or the result of doing an average-petals-per-bloom count with several blooms? Also, was that a Spring Flush count, or from a later flush? The reason I'm asking is, Sundowner is rated at only 35 petals. Note: I did a 3-bloom petal-count a few minutes ago. My most-mature Sundowner bush produces blooms which average about 40 petals. (Your rosebush appears to be *quite* mature, and thus might be producing higher petal-numbers.)

When I was outside counting, I took a "sideview" photo of a just-opening bloom, to show the orange petals with yelow base ...and also made a "whole bush" shot. I'll post them for you over in the Rose Gallery ...or, email them to you. Whatever method you prefer.

Sundowner might be incorrect. The fragrance-level and leaf-leatheriness factors don't seem to match. But Sundowner sure does match your grandiflora mystery-rose's described bloom-color, "ageing-appearance," and bloom-form.

Regards,
    JohnReb

• rosetom
    Original Author
    18 years ago

JohnReb,

You are proving to be a most valuable resource on the rose forums. You have narrowed down the possibilities well, and I'm intensely interested in seeing your photos. My Botanica book describes Sundowner as "an enormous grower." The color looks right, except Botanica lists apricot, and so does HelpMeFind. I'm not sure I've ever seen an apricot shade in these roses - it's yellow-to-orange-to-pink, then aging to salmon-pink all over.

You are correct to ask about the petal count, that's exactly where my doubt still remains - that, and the total lack of fragrance. The petal count was done on the first few blooms during the first season for these roses - I was trying to figure out what they were because it was immediately obvious that they weren't Sunsprites. That was several years ago, but I seem to remember that several blooms were counted, and some were up to 60 petals. It's deceptive, because they do look like 35-petaled blooms. Maybe I couldn't count rose petals back then.

Post or send those pics.

• brenhelms
    18 years ago

JohnReb-

Since you own a Sundowner (you think)-can you look at this photo and tell me if the leaf wrinkling evident in the rear of this HMF photo of Sundowner is normal for your bush:

{{gwi:1224264}}

I own a Sundowner as well (I think) but it has not bloomed since transplanted. It is now growing like gangbusters, but it is exhibiting this strange "wrinkling" of the new leaves. I'm thinking this must be char. of this rose-as all other roses growing in that same area are very healthy. Can you help?

• rosetom
    Original Author
    18 years ago

No offense people, but that picture shows some apricot, mine doesn't. The only yellow is at the very base of the petals, everthing else is bright orange that fades to salmon pink as it ages. I've also never seen form that loose on mine, either.

Argghh!

• johnreb_va7
    18 years ago

Brenhelms, I checked my more-mature Sundowner bush. Yes, it has some leaves which look like the ones in your photo.

On my Sundowner, I see some of them on "newer" stems - meaning, stems with unopened buds - but not on every one of those stems.

That's interesting. I wonder what can be the cause of it. And now I'm wondering if the wrinkliness "persists" as those leaves age into full maturity. I'll be keeping an eye on them to see what happens in coming weeks.

Regards,
    JohnReb

• brenhelms
    18 years ago

Thanks JohnReb-this is my first Sundowner, and I knew I had never seen this extent of 'wrinkling' on any of my other rose bushes. I cannot tell that any insects are involved-and I don't recognize any disease which produces this (and only on one bush out of a dozen)-so when I saw the Sundowner photo on HMF and recognized the same phenomena, a light bulb went off saying "okay-maybe this is characteristic of Sundowner!" Yes, this wrinkling is evident only on the newest growth on mine, too. Well, this confirms I did purchase a Sundowner-yeah! I'm looking forward to my first blooms-looks to be a gorgeous rose.

• northspruce
    18 years ago

Rosetom, I can't offer anything in the way of ID but is that rose free-standing??? It doesn't look like anything's supporting it! It's wonderful BTW.

• rosetom
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yes, it's free-standing - two of them - there's another one about 8 feet to the left. The stems will fall with a good rain when they get that tall, and need staking. Voodoo is not quite as tall (it's right behind this one) but it never needs staking. They really are amazing roses - whether they're Sundowners or not.

BTW - wrinkled or puckered leaves are usually a result of fertilization. Some varieties are more sensitive than others, this one maybe one that's sensitive. Peace's new leaves are wrinkled every time, but they straighten out eventually. Neither of my bushes (the ones we're talking about) have wrinkles right now.

JohnReb - I took a bunch more photos today, but I'm going to start a new thread - this one already has enough photos in it. I'm hoping you can clinch this for me.