Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cupofcoffee_gw

Help identify an old rose - quartered, reflexed, pink, fragrant,

cupofcoffee
13 years ago

Can anyone ID this rose, or get close?

It's on my 160 yr old farm in NY, and a nearby neighbor also has an old one on their property.

It's low growing to 3 feet, seems to spread by suckers/runners underground or maybe toprooting. It sends up new canes each year. The canes are quite weak/floppy/weaping under the weight of the plant.

The thorns are very small - more like hairs- with a few larger thorns. They are reddish.

The leaves have usually 5 leaflets, the entire leaf being 6" long. The leaflets are evenly serrated and are acute. They are somewhat leathery with prominent veins underneath. Not shiny at all.

The buds are pink, the flower opens pink and lightens with age to a light pick. The flower is quartered with a yellow/greenish eye, and the many many many petals become reflexed with age. The center remains quarted and the small petals at the center are the last to fall off. The petals are mostly slightly cordate.

The flower is 2 to 2-1/2 inches diameter and 1.5 inches high from the bottom of the reflexed petal to the top.

There is a mid-strength old rose scent.

I don't know about the hips.

It appears to be susceptible to powdery mildew and/or other disease, but there is very high humidity here.

It blooms in May/June (Zone 5/6 NY). I think I may have seen a few repeat blooms later in the year, but cannot be sure.

Forgive the poor photograph, I will try to post a link to more if someone requests.

Thanks!

Image link:

Comments (2)