Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marbrees

1 not William Baffin, 1 unknown random pink OGR

marbree
15 years ago

I have an unknown that I received as William Baffin in a trade. I like it, and I have a guess as to what it could be, but I'm not sure. Red fading to deep fuschia, the few thorns are very long and red. Leaves are smallish and shiny. Most of the blooms are three inches wide, but some of them can be a bit larger. It's winter hardy and drought hardy. The blooms don't last very long, but the plant is a survivor. I believe it has tet. pollen.

⦠⦠⦠⦠⦠⦠⦠⦠⦠⦠⦠⦠⦠⦠⦠⦠⦠⦠⦠⦠⦠⦠⦠⦠⦠⦠⦠⦠⦠⦠⦠⦠⦠⦠⦠⦠⦠⦠⦠⦠⦠⦠⦠⦠⦠⦠⦠⦠⦠⦠⦠⦠⦠⦠⦠⦠â¦

I also have my random pink old garden rose.

Its about 4 feet tall growing neglected in sandy soil. Lots of small prickles, and balsamy buds. Flowers are pink and well-formed and fade in color as they age. They are also about three inches wide, too, and smell like old garden rose. The first cane came up in an empty corner of my yard the spring after I moved in. Long-lived roots? Leaves are matte. I've seen it growing feral by the railroad tracks and untended in other yards. The pollen will set pods on Tet. roses, and it will OP, but it won't accept pollen from other roses.

I would love to hear what you think they could be.

Thanks in advance, Marbree.

Comments (2)

• marbree
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It is the flowers on the red rose that are red fading to deep fuschia, not the thorns. Sorry I missed that much-needed edit.

• soniarosa
    15 years ago

Beautiful

the red one:
    My first choice would be Wing Ding
    2. City of San Fransisco
    3. Home run
    4. Meidiland lanscape rose (if it has a white center)
    5. if a red center Austrian Copper
    6.Salsa
    It is too red to be a william baffin

Pink Rose
    first choice is Great Maiden's blush
    2. Felicite Parmentier
    3.Niosette
    4.Sexy rexy (has dull dark green leaves)
    5.Abraham Darby (has green shiny)
    6.Heritage

Those are my picks