Return to the Name That Rose Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unknown rambler

Posted by Ablinob z5 NY (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 18, 05 at 14:39

Please help me identify my neighbor's rose. I think it is a rambler but would like a more specific name if you have one.

Image link: Unknown rambler (59 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unknown rambler

• Posted by Ron_B USDA 8 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 18, 05 at 20:22

One of the other Walsh ramblers, that is, like 'Dorothy Perkins' but more strongly colored. People ask about these so often here it could almost be an FAQ topic.

o

Don't know if the picture clearly shows this but the blossoms are only 1 inch across (that's the largest one) My DH superimposed a close up of the roses on top of the bush. Are the Dorothy Perkins Walsh rambler blossoms that small?

o
Response to Unknown Rambler

Don't know if the picture clearly shows this but the blossoms are only 1 inch across (that's the largest one) My DH superimposed a close up of the roses on top of the bush. Are the Dorothy Perkins Walsh rambler blossoms that small?

o

Mon, Jun 20, 05 at 3:42

Yes, 'Dorothy'& Co. have small flower size and foliage characters of Rosa wichurana parent.

o

Dorothy Perkins (and cousins) practically grows wild in the Northeast and is almost as common as multiflora here. That's why people (mostly from the Northeast) ask about it often-- it's a survivor in these parts. Great rose, too! - LIR

o

Mon, Jun 20, 05 at 18:21

We have them all over out here, too.

o

Yes, "Dottie's" blooms are that small, and that is very likely what you have there.

Paul

o

'Excelsa', not 'Dorothy Perkins'.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Rose Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here