Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gypsygirl_ky

Once bloomer, gorgeous single bloom needs i.d.

gypsygirl_ky
17 years ago

{{gwi:1224617}}

{{gwi:1224618}}

I got this rose along with an old Dorothy Perkins off an old property. It had a lot of bushog damage when I got it. Prefers fall pruning, soft leaves, blooms once I am pretty sure, as I spent two years spring pruning and never got a bloom. Fall pruned last year and got blooms this year. This rose bush was planted over 50 years ago. Please help identify. The long canes growing up and out are this roses.

Comments (11)

• joan_m
    17 years ago

Possibly R. setigera (spelling?) or a hybred of it?

• Embothrium
    17 years ago

Certainly does have some R. setigera characters.

• cjbspokane
    17 years ago

Rosa virginiana?

• gypsygirl_ky
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The flower is right for it, but the leaves look different. Mine has soft, kinda fuzzy feeling leaves. I really want to know what this is. Waited for a long time for it to bloom. Driving me nuts.

• cjbspokane
    17 years ago

Another guess - Rosa blanda? It would be very cool if it was because I believe it is a threatened species in a couple of states.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rosa blanda

• gypsygirl_ky
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The leaf color and texture are right, but my leafy sections have 3 leaves and some have 5 leaves. It is very close though. It isnt as thorny as that one either, but I believe we are getting closer. The flower and petal count are also on the money, just the leaf count is off.

• cjbspokane
    17 years ago

That leaf count is tricky . . . hmmm, how fragrant is it? Would you be able to post pictures of the stems?

I am understanding your frustration :)

• gypsygirl_ky
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Barely a scent.(I put my nose right up to a flower) The leaf count is funny. I also notice that the bottom of the leafs have a reddish streak sometimes orangish color.(note in first pic.) Some of the canes are reddish, some purple and some green. This rose has me baffled.

{{gwi:1224619}}

{{gwi:1224620}}

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    17 years ago

My setigera has 5-leaflet leaves. They are down fairly far, but they are there. There are also thornless forms of setigera, though I seem to be growing only ultra-thorny ones here.

Remember, there is going to be a certain amount of variation between individual plants. This is probably a seedling, not a clone like the usual garden roses. So the picky little details of thorniness, stipule shape, stipule color, etc. will have natural variations.

• bama82
    17 years ago

That's R. setigera.

Mark

• gypsygirl_ky
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I will mark it as R. Setigera. Thank you everyone for your help. Now my 2 unknowns are identified. Will have another for identification next year, got it out of the woods, but it isnt a briar rose. We will see what it does. Thanks again...Mandy