Return to the Name That Rose Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this a Rose and how do I save it?

Posted by manillesol 10 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 6, 13 at 14:56

Hi! Just moved here from Zone 6 and it's quite a difference! DH and I just bought a home and it came with a lovely garden. However, between them moving out and us moving in, this poor plant suffered a great deal. It doesn't seem to have new growth, but some of the stems with dried out brown leaves on them are green, and there are about three leaves that are green but starting to brown on the edges. How do I save this? Can I cut it down all the way to the ground or should I just give up and dig it out? Thanks for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this a Rose and how do I save it?

It doesn't have thorns does it? I don't think it's a rose, mostly because the way it is putting out such skinny little cross branches.
I think the first thing to do would be to just remove the dead stuff. Cut it down to living cane/stems. (green in the middle) and then water it properly. Most plants like the top inch of soil to be dry before rewatering.

I recommend reposting this on the Name Taht Plant Forum and add a picture of a green leaf.

This post was edited by lola-lemon on Thu, Jun 6, 13 at 22:50

o

Thanks, lola-lemon! When you say cut it down, do you mean remove all the foliage entirely? The remaining three green leaves are at the tip of an entirely brown branch covered in dead leaves.
I'll definitely post a pic on NTP when the sun comes up tomorrow!

o

Oh! I didn't realize the 3 green leaves were on the top. Just strip the brown leaves and keep it watered and see what it is --- then decide how to manage it. Some bushes allow renovating, some don't.
It might be a gardenia and they can be hard to keep alive in certain climates. That's just a guess made looking at dead leaves tho... so go ahead and post the green leaves pictures over on the name that plant forum.
Good luck!

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 8, 13 at 11:31

It's not a rose. Looks like some kind of shrub. There's one called Coppertina that has leaves that color. Or maybe some type of viburnum.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Rose Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here