Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roseyd_gw

identifying a rose - orange/yellow color

roseyd
11 years ago

I am very much a newbie when it comes to flowers and gardens - I began digging up my rented front yard, and put in a few rose bushes, and some other plants - and I've made a lot of mistakes... but, some of the plants are more forgiving than others.

About 4 years ago, I put in a rose - that has grown to be a very leggy (6+ foot tall shrub). I didnt keep the info on its name and wish I knew it because she's a charmer. Produces a lot of blooms from spring through late november, just as long as I keep up with the dead-heading.

she smells like oranges, and is a mix of orange that fades into yellow as the blossoms open and age. this is my first post here - I hope I can figure out how to post pictures.

does anyone know what type she is?

Image link:

Comments (14)

• roseyd
    Original Author
    11 years ago

another shot when the bloom is 'younger'

• roseyd
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ok, can't figure out how to post more pictures... advice on that would be appreciated. :)

• funnelweb
    11 years ago

My initial thought when I first saw your photo was of 'Peace'.
    As for posting pictures, I find the easiest way is through the programme, 'Photobucket'. As an example, I just downloaded this photo of rosa 'Canary bird' to paste to another questioner but would you believe, I can not now locate the questioner! Dear me, old age perhaps. Anyway, rather than waste the photo, this is how doing it via photobucket (a free site) appears.
    Regards
    Bill
    PS. it's fairly straight forward but if you want any further guidance, just say so and I'll post here how I do it.
    {{gwi:259284}}

• lola-lemon
    11 years ago

Maybe morden sunrise. Does it ever have slightly double flowers?

• lola-lemon
    11 years ago

Ooo- i see your picture shows it slightly double- and slightly wavy too. This and your orange description makes it really sound Very much like my morden sunrise. It's very hardy. Zone 2 or 3, i think. Cant recall the kind of fragrance- but it has a good scent.

• lola-lemon
    11 years ago

Ooo- i see your picture shows it slightly double- and slightly wavy too. This and your orange description makes it really sound Very much like my morden sunrise. It's very hardy. Zone 2 or 3, i think. Cant recall the kind of fragrance- but it has a good scent.

• lola-lemon
    11 years ago

• roseyd
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes! that's it! Morden Sunrise - I've been trying to save this bush - she's had a very bad case of black spot all season, and while I keep pruning her back as the flowers require deadheading - she shows new growth, and then the spot takes it over, the flowers bloom, the leaves die - and, I'm back to pruning again ... since the black spot is even affecting the stems, this season.

I'll say that I really love this bush. I didn't know how to take care of her, when I first planted her, and had never really attempted to prune before. In march this year - she was over 7 feet tall... very leggy - and now - she's about 5 feet, and each time I trim back a little bit more. Im hoping that I can save her - but, if worse comes to worse - I'm glad to know that she's 'ID'd" now so that I can get another if I don't succeed to beat this disease before it kills her.

Funny how the description on "helpmefind' said that she's only supposed to be 28 inches tall... I really should have been better at past years' pruning.

Ah well, live and learn!

• lola-lemon
    11 years ago

We don't have blackspot in our climate luckily...mine was a band last year and lived in a pot over winter, but was early to wake up and get going and has such happy blooms that i quite like mine too. Hope yours shapes up.
    Good luck!

• roseyd
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I wish that were the case for me! ... both my older rose bushes (3-4 years) have black spot - the morden sunrise is almost being killed by it. I may have to replace her next year. next spring, I'm going to cut her down to 2 feet and see if she'll come back for me.

I have always liked the idea of having roses in pots - but have never been lucky with it. I find that the drainage is never quite right and the roots just don't grow as much as they should. Is it that I don't use the right potting mix? Miracle grow? ... should I be blending it with other things to allow for better drainage?

My experience with pots for anything else, has always been that they don't hold water, and everything dries out to quickly. ... but not for my efforts with Roses.

I had quite the compliment yesterday. I ran into one of my neighbors and she said that her family were loving my garden. Small though it is - with the roses and oriental lillies in full bloom - what's not to love? :) I told her that the two flower types were always competing with me for favorite flower... I sure do love my roses though, and if I could figure out where to put more of them in our small yard - I would. As of right now - I have 6 bushes, 4 of them newly planted this season. I can hardly wait to see what my yellow climber - kona gold will do with itself in the years to come, as it grows up the side of the porch.

If my morden Sunrise doesn't survive the winter and next year's massive pruning ... I may be on a hunt for a new one, or maybe I can beg for a seed off of yours? :)

• lola-lemon
    11 years ago

I only have one- so how bout a clipping instead?

• roseyd
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I figured when the end of the year comes to pass - the rose hips all have seeds in them... I've never grown a rose from seed before - but, if I could find a non-diseased morden-sunrise - I would attempt it. :)

Are clippings easier than seeds?

• lola-lemon
    11 years ago

They're full of seeds but they'd be a hybrid (MS x some other rose in my garden). ... Tho, i just checked and this rose is likely protected under its 2003 patent. So propagation is a no- no either way.
    I got my rose from northland rosarium. I think they propogate by cuttings, so you might get the same rose i have.

I don't mean to be a smarty pants and I apologize if you already know this...but black spot can be helped by not watering the leaves of your plant, providing air circulation by not crowding it in tight spaces or dense garden jungles and picking off or raking up any black spot leaves.
    It's easy for me to give advice though- we have very low humidity so it's easy to cure any that starts up (forinstance if i leave on any last seasons dead or ill leaves, it gets going on those).
    As far as pruning,- it tends to stimulate healthy new growth....
    i dont know how sparse your plant is, but you might try cutting it down by 1/3 now. Alternately, If you dont have leaves down the plant, maybe just prune a portion of the worst looking canes down to 2 feet (2/3rds). If your plant responds well, bring the rest down. Or next year bring the whole plant uniformly down by half to 2/3 in spring.
    David austin (the father of English roses) recommends pruning a second time in summer in warm climates ( beyond deadheading) As well as doing the first pruning in spring. I generally find (tho i am just a hobbiest gardener) that modern roses respond well to pruning in most cases (tho, maybe not past late summer as you dont want to stimulate growth when it should be getting readybto go dormant??)
    I think most modern roses can become overgrown duds if never pruned. ...So you might find pruning improves things (as well as proper fertilizing!:-).

But don't just take my advice- If I was you, i'd ask the forum
    for advice on renovating your overgrown shrub now.
    Then You'll get a variety of experienced viewpoints- from differing climates ...then you might choose the most relevant experience to follow. I find the warmer climate gardeners (LA and such) have their own experiences that don't always match the cold climate experiences- (especially pruning) though overall, they all have great input with regard to rose quirks and habits.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    11 years ago

You can use the seeds of a patented rose, that is allowed because your seeds are now a new variety, where Morden Sunrise is a parent. You cannot reproduce via cutting or budding/grafting until the patent expires.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz