Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hammerl

rootstock rose not doc huey or multiflora?

hammerl
18 years ago

Trying to find out what this is. Moved a rose to another bed in order to make room for the a/c unit in a spot that met code. It's not the parent plant, which went unidentified here last year, a small, full-blossomed pinkish number that normally stays small but exploded to massive proportions this year, which came from a local nursery south of where I am. Not sure who grew it, it came in a virtually unlabeled pot with only the nursery name on it and an unreadable, smudged hadwritten tag with the rose name. Bought it at the 2000 Buffalo and Erie County Botanical Gardens Rare and Unusual Plant Sale. I assume this rose pictured is rootstock, as it's what appeared not long after I moved that rose. It's certainly not doc huey. I've seen some rosa multiflora up close, and it doesn't seem to me to be that -- the roses on my rootstock are about 4"-5" across, and the canes are mostly thornless, with a few downward hooking thorns. The leaves are a flat bluish-green color. The stamens start out bright yellow, then turn coppery. The petals are creamy white, and scalloped in the center, so each petal resembles a slender heart. The roses are single, and each bears five petals, but the pointed buds seem to be in clusters. Appears to be a rambler or maybe a climber. The canes are green with a smidgen of red, and the thorns are, I think, red. This is the first year it bloomed, and is three years old. Not sure if it hips.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1224764}}

Comments (3)