Return to the Name That Rose Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Quartered Light Apricot Rose

Posted by Orgle 5b (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 23, 13 at 15:18

I recently purchased this lovely rose, and discovered it was mislabeled. I have no idea how I missed the very obvious hybrid tea pictured on the label, but this beauty definitely isn't 'Day Breaker'.

The blossoms are just over 3" wide, fully quartered, & nearly flat when open (slightly dished). They quickly nod, then fade from a light apricot/warm yellow to soft cream. The oldest flowers have some pink tinges on the outer petals (probably from the rain). It smells wonderfully fruity, maybe a bit like strawberries.

The thorns are quite large and deep red.

The foliage doesn't have any outstanding features, other than being pretty much disease free during a very wet spring.

The plant is currently ~3 feet tall and looks rather airy -- more like A Shropshire Lad than Graham Thomas.

The label says St. Catharines, ON, so I assume it comes from JC Bakker, and the closest rose on their product list is Crown Princess Margareta.

Any thoughts would be appreciated! :)

This post was edited by Orgle on Sun, Jun 23, 13 at 16:03

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Quartered Light Apricot Rose

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 23, 13 at 16:29

Maybe one of the Austin's?

o

definitely not Graham Thomas. I have two " Graham Thomas", and I know what they look like.

o

that's a "Jude the Obscure" by David Austin- my favorite rose :-) My Jude recovered from root break when I had a hard time getting him out of the pot last summer. Wanna lend me a hand on i.d.'ing my yellow wonder :-)

o

Hmm.. I don't know about it being Jude the Obscure. All the pictures I've seen of it show a very cupped bloom form -- almost ball-like -- which then opens to show off the stamens. Mine is truly quartered; you can't see the stamens until the petals fall off.

If it's an Austin, I would say it's a Crown Princess Margareta, based on a thread I found on these forums

Thanks for your input :)

Here is a link that might be useful: CPM on Gardenweb

o

Definitely an Austin -- possibly a Romantica however they are usually not as fragrant. Check out Molineux and Pegasus on Help Me Find and be sure to look thru several pages at the variety of blooms before deciding. Some folks are all that great at taking photos.

o

All of those pics look like my crown princess

o

All of those pics look like my crown princess

o

Here's a photo of my crown princess margareta. . .what do you think?

o

Here's a photo of my crown princess margareta. . .what do you think?

o

Thank you for your suggestions! I would have to agree that it definitely looks like Crown Princess Margareta. I just didn't have enough experience with the variety to be sure.

Now that I feel pretty sure it'll need support, I can contemplate what I want to use :) Thanks again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Rose Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here