Return to the Name That Rose Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help ID (photos)

Posted by michelle_co z5 CO (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 11, 07 at 15:24

Hi,

This is a pink shrub that I grew from a cutting last year. Habit is shrubby with lots of arching canes. The parent is approx. 4x4 and growing in a parkinglot island at the grocery store with likely very little care. Parent grows under a tree in partial shade. Not sure if it repeats. It does not repeat when it's not deadheaded. It sets loads of small red hips.

It has small clear pink very double flowers, about 2 - 2.5" across. Not much fragrance.

Small red thorns on new growth.

Ack! Aphids! Ick!! Blooms in clusters.

Slightly glossy foliage.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Michelle

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help ID (photos)

The Fawn? Thorns are orange/coral and round in cross section.

o

Wish I could help you on an ID - pretty rose! Congrats on your find...

Nancy

o

Possibly Bonica '82...

o

Thanks - I thought about both The Fawn and Bonica. There is a Bonica growing in the demo garden in town, I will have to get a closer look at it. The Fawn seems like a reasonable fit, too.

Nancy, if you want one of these, I may have an extra rooted copy (the other trades you sent me are doing really well). I will try to get pics of the mother plant. It's in full bloom right now and just a stunner.

How is your Abe doing? Mine is growing like crazy and has a handful of buds about to open. It's actually growing better than the grafted parent I bought last year at the nursery. It seems to like being ownroot.

Cheers,
Michelle

o

Bonica thorns on half-hardened wood are smallish, flattened, hooked, orange at the base. Foliage is unusually dark green with a slight blue tone. The Fang's thorns are long, round in cross-section except at the very base, coral-colored, and hooked at the end, very distinctive. That top picture of the bud is very beautiful. The thorns don't look quite right for The Fawn, but aren't quite clear either.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Rose Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here