Return to the Name That Rose Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this a rose??

Posted by mrsbrigham none (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 6, 14 at 15:28

Hello all --
Can anyone tell me if this is a rose or not? Bloomed small white flowers. Thought I posted it earlier, maybe not a rose and got removed? Sorry for the repeat.
Thanks,
Mrs. B

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this a rose??

It sure looks like a rose and from the looks of it, it has been there for awhile. It is probably one of the old small flowered roses.. can you get us a picture when it is blooming, which should be sooner..

o

Thank you lelamsk for your reply. Here is a photo of the currently blooming flowers ... Looking forward to figuring this one out. Thanks!

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 7, 14 at 20:48

It looks like the species (wild) rose called Cherokee Rose.

o

I checked the old rose section in my huge rose identification book, and the closest rose with 4 pure white petal and that wonderful yellow center was an Rosa brunonii "The Himalayan Musk".. seems very common in California. you didn't say where you were from.. but you have a beautiful old rose. Lela

o

Thank you for your replies ... Unfortunately it's much too big for the space it's in. I live in CT. Any thoughts in transplanting or cutting back? Thanks!

o

It also looks like they are invasive in the USA ... The Cherokee rose ... Which. Makes sense why it's growing like a beast! May just remove it all together. Thanks for your help seil

o

Most of the flowers I see in those photos have 5 petals, not 4.

o

There is a wild (species) invasive rose (with great fragrance!) that grows all over Southern New England, and this looks just like it...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Rose Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here