Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daveatl

Need positive IDs - experts only please.

daveatl
12 years ago

I have a garden with over 30 roses and they all need IDs, please no guessing if you know it please let me know ['Number 3 is a XXX.'] I want to properly care for each.

a closer look [also does this have to be pruned??]

And some overall looks:

Thanks in advance.

Comments (5)

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

It's very hard to ID a rose with absolute certainty. And it takes more than a picture of a spent bloom to do so. Pictures of the leaves, stems, thorns, buds and fresh blooms would help as well as any description of it's growing habits.

I'm assuming that since you don't know what any of them are that you got them with the house. You've inherited a lovely rose garden. It looks like it was well thought out and planted. I can't believe that they are not labeled. Have you dug down around the base of each rose to see if there is a tag maybe buried in the mulch or soil? Sometimes after several seasons the tags do end up underground.

Regardless of what they are most roses all take the same basic care. Sunshine, water and fertilizer is what all roses need. Pruning out dead wood on any rose is good. They look like they are all modern roses, hybrid teas, floribundas and shrubs, so you can hard prune in the early spring (you don't give a zone or location so I can't give you any idea what month would be best for your area) and light pruning as you deadhead for shape and size should keep them growing and blooming. If they get diseases or insects go to your local nursery with a sample of a diseased leave and ask for the right product. Or better yet, find a local rose society or consulting rosarian! They would be the best source for information on growing roses in your particular location. They may also be the best people to be able to ID them for you because they can come over and look at them in person. You can find information about societies or consultants for your area at the American Rose Society's web site.

• bluederby21
    12 years ago

The 3rd photo down of the Orange blend hybrid tea I'm 90% sure is Voodoo. I have 2 of them in my garden and they're beautiful. They have the same petal structure and color of the ones in your photo. Additionally they start out this soft golden orange to peachy orange blend and age to a full out dark neon orange.

I could probably guess a few more of your other blends if I saw some newer bloom shots :)

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

Remember, you must be an expert to respond to this thread.

Snort.

• petaloid
    12 years ago

Seil gives excellent advice, and I hope you will follow all of it, including getting in touch with your local rose society. Each area has its own specific challenges of climate, soil, etc.

BlueDerby21 made a good call on Voodoo, and other rose growers in that rose club who live in your area could probably help you figure out more if they saw them in person.

(There are thousands of roses in and out of commerce, many that are similar in appearance, and even "experts" cannot always be completely certain which is which.)

• daveatl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks a bunch for all the input thus far -- I have been doing exactly what Seil has been advising watering, fertilizing and pruning them. Luckily, they are blooming. Thanks again all.