Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
magicatt

Unknown red climber

magicatt
18 years ago

When I bought my house, I inherited two very pretty rose bushes--one red and one yellow with pink edges. The house was build in about 1920 but I have no idea how old the roses are. The people we bought the house from had never cared for them or tried to find out about them. The roses appear to be climbers and have been tied up along the fence. I haven't been able to identify either of the two. The red is the only one blooming right now, so I'll deal with the other one as it blooms. As I said, it is red (and not pinkish as the picture shows it) and has about 12 petals. The blooms are in clusters of about three. There are small thorns on the stems. The rose itself has a lightly spicy scent. I'm not sure what else you might need to help me. Just ask and I'll do my best to figure it out.

Thanks,

Jenna

Image link:

Comments (7)

• LizzieA
    18 years ago

Possibly Altissimo? although the petal count is a bit high. And the pale yellow edged with pink could be Peace, both very well known roses.

Here is a link that might be useful: HelpMeFind Altissimo

• magicatt
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, Lizzie! That rose is so close. After looking at the Altissimo pictures and reading the description, though, I'm thinking that it isn't that one. My rose has slightly differently shapped petals--more of a heart shape (a double hump) than a single round as they show--and the blooms never open quite that flat. It always has a cup shape. My blooms are also only 3" across (bad me for not mentioning that earlier) instead of the 5" that the Altissimo is.

I'm very new to roses, so please feel free to enlighten me if I'm just very mistaken.

Thanks again,
    Jenna

• magicatt
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, I spent some more time looking around the net and Altissimo is looking more like it. I think there were just some odd pictures on HelpMeFind that threw me off. There are some that are dead ringers for my rose out there and they claim they are Altissimo, which would make sense if it was popular.

So, forgive me my waffling and indecisiveness.

Jenna

• petaloid
    18 years ago

Altissimo blooms are generally larger and opening flatter than you describe. Its foliage is on the glossy side, which your photo does not show.

• Ron_B
    18 years ago

'Altissimo' is a big, flat, velvety red with fewer petals, usually different looking leaves than your appears to have in your photo. It also has a slenderish, upright (pillar) growth habit. I doubt yours is 'Altissimo'. There are thousands of kinds of roses, something you find doesn't have to be a familiar variety.

• magicatt
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, Ron.

I have actually continued looking around to see if I can find anything that closely resembles my rose and I have found one. I brought in a bloom to work from it instead of from the picture I'd taken and happened to notice something about my rose. It has a white ring around the stamen (really the bottom of the petals) and a dribble down one (or two) of the petals. You can see it in the picture I took but I hadn't really paid attention to it. I also wasn't sure that all of my blooms would have the same marking, as I only had one bloom when I posted the picture. Now I have a few more and they are all having that same white dribble.

So, I'm thinking it might be a Parkdirektor Riggers. It seems to have the right petal count, size, shape, color and it has that white dribble.

But, I'm not an expert. I want to know what you all think. Is there anything specific that might help me know if this is my rose or decisively know if it's not?

Thanks,
    Jenna

Here is a link that might be useful: HelpMeFind Parkdirector Riggers

• lise_b
    18 years ago

Jenna, also look up Dr. Huey; red climber, mild but nice scent, 15-17 petals, 3" wide blooms. It's a very common rootstock, so if the rose was originally a graft way back when and the top died, you might be seeing the surviving rootstock.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville