Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sgsmith318

Mystery yellow HT

sgsmith318
18 years ago

I accidentally posted this in rose gallery-duh

I have a mystery yellow HT from HD that was labeled Blue Girl (not). It got about 3' and grew like gangbusters in its first year last year. Basal breaks were huge and red. Foliage deep green and glossy. Mild to little scent. Buds formed one to a stem and in groups. Some buds blushed with a bit of pink on edges, but not enough to call it a "blend" really. Blooms were medium to light yellow and faded a bit lighter when blown, and they were dinnerplate size--huge. Nice HT form, about 15-24 petals. This is a nice rose. I've narrowed it down to possibly China Town, Mellow Yellow, Aperitif, but can't really be sure what it is! So frustrating. I have markers for all my roses, and this one is bugging me! Thanks for any help!

There are a good number of pics of this one here:

Here is a link that might be useful: Mystery yellow HT

Comments (9)

• brenhelms
    18 years ago

May I suggest Oregold as a possibility? Fragrance and petal count match, and the color appears very similar.

Here is a link that might be useful: HelpMeFind

• sgsmith318
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Two votes for Oregold now, and I had it on my list originally too..could be, could be...

• sgsmith318
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I also remember why I ruled out Oregold earlier in my search; it's listed as zone 7-10 and needing winter protection and as a deep yellow...but some of the lighter colored pictures on Helpmefind are dead ringers for my rose. Still wondering, pen and label at my side...

anyone else have any ideas?

• brenhelms
    18 years ago

Have you checked into 'Sunblest"? It is zone 4-5+ and it has a slight fragrance with large blooms.

{{gwi:1225021}}

• brenhelms
    18 years ago

Another suggestion-Irish Gold aka Grandpa Dickson:

{{gwi:1225022}}

• geminidream
    18 years ago

From your descriptions it sounds like Gold Medal although your photos look like you have less petals than it. Mine fades as you describe but your photos look more vibrant than GM. Of all my yellows (and I don't have that many ) GM is my hands-down favorite. Statuesque blooms, last a long time, beautiful buds, great vase life...I can't say enough. It is supposed to get tall, hope so, mine is only 2 years old and I can't get enough of it.

Molly

Here is a link that might be useful: Gold Medal at HMF

• sgsmith318
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks you guys. It looks a bit like Sunblest and Irish Gold but not hands-down. So hard to guess! Gold Medal is another one I'd looked at, but it always seems to be described as darker yellow than mine...hmm!

• memorialday71
    18 years ago

I think you have gold medal as well.

• dtdiva
    18 years ago

Here is my Sunblest, so you can compare,,It also looks like Gold Medal, but my Gold Medal fades very fast,,,

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County