Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
turningpoint_gw

oops- here's a larger photo. red climber z 5-who am I?

turningpoint
17 years ago

I'll try again. I'm sorry, I'm just learning to post photos.

Image link:

Comments (15)

• turningpoint
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The rose repeat blooms or blooms through the season. I think as the blooms open all the way, there will be some yellow in the very center- but I had remembered 5-7 petals and there appear to be at least 20. It was 10' when I transplanted it 3 years ago. It seems to be absolutely freeze resistant and it's canes get a bit stiff as it ages. It has thrown up 2 new canes in the last several weeks, one nearly 4 1/2 feet tall already.

• rosyjennifer
    17 years ago

Is it fragrant?

• turningpoint
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I can hardly detect a smell. I looked at Dr. Huey pictures and they seemed to be similar, but this is zone 5- some people even think zone 4. I confess I did post about this rose before, but that was based on my memory. I had settled on Altissimo, but now I have doubts due to the petal #.

• turningpoint
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Could it be Blaze? But the "help me find" site has Blaze as zone 6.

• garden2garden
    17 years ago

Have you compared it to pictures of Don Juan? I don't know about it's zone hardiness, and DJ is fragrant and you said you don't detect any fragrance, but the color is right and it has wide leaves like that.

Here is a link that might be useful: DJ at HMF

• turningpoint
    Original Author
    17 years ago

It does look a bit like Don Juan. But my rose has yellow (stamen?) in the center. I do detect a fragrance now that it has opened. The blooms are 2 1/2 - 3 inches apart. It was transplanted from the yard of my neighbor who died at the age of 104 and it had been completely neglected with no ill affect. I confess I posted also on the gallery forum where I put a photo of a few days later that show the yellow center. I'm sorry, I thought this post was being lost in the long list of undentifyed roses.

• altorama Ray
    17 years ago

This looks similar to a very hardy red climber I have-
    does your have dk red new growth, and blooms that open
    very slowly?
    Here's a pic of mine -'pulnor' aka 'jazz'-
    (old photo from it's first year)

also check HMF under 'Jazz'

• threedimen
    17 years ago

It looks too red for Blaze, which has more pink in it (mine anyway.)

• turningpoint
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I looked up both Jazz and RI Red on the help me find site. They do both look similar but I don't see the yellow stamens in the center. Krista, who posts on this site has suggested Gruss an Aachen and a second look at Dr. Huey who I guess could be more reliable in zone 5 than I thought.

• cecilia_md7a
    17 years ago

You must mean Gruss an Teplitz - Gruss an Aachen is not red. There are both bush and climbing versions of Gruss an Teplitz. The photos on Helpmefind.com do look like your rose.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gruss an Teplitz

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    17 years ago

Just how cold temperatures has this rose survived without any damage? It's strange, because I don't know any repeat blooming red climbers that pre-date the Explorers that are cane hardy below -10F. Blaze, RI Red, Don Juan - all of those more or less run screaming for cover when it gets cold. Dr. Huey is a quite decent climber around here, but it is much darker red than in that picture, doesn't repeat, and stays relatively pliable. Compared to the hardy, repeating climbers, it's a joy to work with.

• turningpoint
    Original Author
    17 years ago

It looks a lot like Gruss an Teplitz. It will get at least 10' tall however, since it was before. It looks a lot like Dr. Huey. It has weathered -10 degrees and likely -15 degrees. While this was a mild winter, it has been around for at least 9 years. How much longer before that, I don't know since I just remember Mrs. Clarke pointing it out to me when she was still in her nineties. I can't think who would have planted it for her, though, so it may have been around for a lot longer before I noticed it.

• RosariumRob
    17 years ago

What colour does the young growth have? If it is very dark red-purple, then your rose could be Sympathie.

• altorama Ray
    17 years ago

I really don't think that is Dr.Huey, and I wouldn't think
    that Gruss en Teplitz could be that hardy. Also the foliage doesn't look quite right-
    anyway, just wanted to let you know that now that Jass/POulnor is open the yellow stamens are visible.
    sorry for the blurriness-today it is even more open.
    Will try to get a better pic tomorrow.
    pic from yesterday
    {{gwi:1225186}}

• altorama Ray
    17 years ago

sorry, here's a better one
    {{gwi:1225188}}

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!