Return to the Name That Rose Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help me identify my great-grandmother's rose!

Posted by Emsie 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 23, 13 at 17:30

Hi, I recently rooted some cuttings of a beautiful climber from my grandma's house in Washington state. My grandma said she remembers the rose covering the wall of her mother's house when she was a child in the late 1920s and 30s.
I'm new to roses so I really have no idea of where to even start in identifying it. I'd love any help I can get!

It's a repeat bloomer
the leaves are soft underneath but smooth on top.

Grandma says she hardly gave it any TLC in the past 50 years it's been growing so even though it looks bad now it must be fairly hardy!

I've attatched photos - let me know what details I've missed so I can make it easier to identify.

photo IMG_0112.jpg

photo IMG_0108.jpg

photo IMG_0103.jpg

photo IMG_0101.jpg

photo IMG_0100.jpg

photo IMG_0098.jpg

photo IMG_0084.jpg

Here is a small flower - they get about twice as big
 photo IMG_0073.jpg

And this is my own plant that I rooted from cuttings of grandmas! (I'm pretty excited, it was my first time ever doing cuttings)
 photo IMG_0119.jpg

Thanks so much in advance for all your help! I understand that some roses remain unnamed and/or unidentified but it would be fun to find out about this one if possible. Also, I posted a question about how to prune my grandma's plant in the other forum so if you'd like to comment on that go to http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/roses/msg0617235913468.html

Em

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help me identify my great-grandmother's rose!

My best guess is Red Excelsa/Red Dorothy Perkins but there are two problems with this:

1. Those varieties are once-blooming (do they possibly bloom twice?)
2. The bloom shape seems a little different to me. Anyone out there with Red DP agree?

o

It is not 'Excelsa', nor is it even related to that class, the Wichurana Ramblers. The foliage and growth habit is entirely wrong for a Wichurana. This is a "modern climber" of some sort (and don't let anyone tell you it is 'Dr. Huey' because it isn't that either) but not one I am familiar with.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 1, 13 at 14:28

I'd start with looking at 'Blaze'.

This post was edited by bboy on Tue, Jul 2, 13 at 15:50

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Rose Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here