Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ptgrose

Lavender Rose?

ptgrose
15 years ago

I purchased this rose from Walmart a week ago. The tag on it said it is the variety "Lavender". I can't find any information on it. Is there a rose called Lavender? If not, does anyone know what it really is? To me it looks the most like Angel Face. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

Image link:

Comments (11)

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    15 years ago

Oh that makes me so nuts! It does look like Angel Face. Is it fragrant?

• ptgrose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I don't have best nose for most fragrances, so I'm not the best judge for that, but I would say it is very fragrant.

• littlesmokie
    15 years ago

Couldn't it also be a rose that wasn't named/introduced at all? Or one whose patent has expired?

It does look like Angel Face. Or maybe Blueberry Hill?

Here is a link that might be useful: Blueberry Hill at helpmefind.com

• hartwood
    15 years ago

Angel Face was among the roses at Walmart this year. Your photo looks just like it.

Connie

• ptgrose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I would suspect that it is either a rose that never had a patent on it, one like you say where the patent has run out or a rose from another country that isn't popular here yet.

I ran into a similar situation several years ago. I purchased Glacier Magic and Chateau Merlot from a big box store. I couldn't any information for them on HMF or from any nursery website. I finally found out that they were Tantau roses from Germany.

Why they don't use the corect variety name is beyond me. Maybe they don't know what it is and that is why they just call it Lavender.

Blueberry Hill was one of the candidates I was considering also Shocking Blue. But to me the coloring, petal number and shape matches Angel Face the closest. That's too bad, based on this forum, Angel Face is one of the worst for BS.

• ptgrose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks to all for your help.

• bethnorcal9
    15 years ago

Definitely not BLUEBERRY HILL or SHOCKING BLUE. It's ANGEL FACE.

• ptgrose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We were all wrong. It is Lavande. I had tried looking up info on that name but couldn't find any, because I was spelling it wrong. I was spelling it Lav-e-nde, like Lavender. I corresponded with another person from RHA who had a picture of Lavande on his website. That is when I noticed that I was spelling it wrong. I double checked the tag that came with the roses and right on there is Rosa Lavande. I've included a picture of the tag. It's not a very big picture, but if you look close you can see the name.

Thanks again for all your help.

Paul

Here is a link that might be useful:

• petaloid
    15 years ago

There are fewer than a thousand plants of the rose variety 'Lavande' in commerce, only available from three specialty nurseries, two really, now that Sequoia has closed. (see link below)

I think the tag says Lavande only because that is French for lavender.

Your first guess of "Angel Face" is much more likely to be sold at Walmart. It is a good bloomer and fragrant.

Here is a link that might be useful: limited Lavande sources

• ptgrose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I agree Angel Face is a popular rose and is exactly the type of rose that Walmart does sell and one poster noted that earlier. Why they would sell it as Angel Face in Virginia and Lavender in Minnesota I don't know. If they came from different vendors then it is possible that Lavender is really Angel Face just mislabeled or it could be Lavende labeled with the English translation of Lavender.

There were several other things that led me to believe that it wasn't Angel Face. First, the opening flower buds on Angel Face tend to be darker than the open flower. Whereas on my rose the opening flower buds are the same color as the open flower. Second, the flowers on Angel Face tend to develop cerise edges on them. My rose hasn't yet. That doesn't mean they won't when it gets hotter here. Time will tell.

• theroselvr
    15 years ago

When I worked for a rose grower they used to retag. We'd get shipments from J&P, other places in Texas and would have to use generic tags for some reason when it came to the big box stores.

I'd also say it was labeled that way for color, probably had an angel face tag on it at one time that was removed.