Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
remy_gw

Unknown Yellowish Rose

remy_gw
12 years ago

Hi All,

I got a rose in a trade awhile ago and it finally bloomed. The woman had said it was her grandma's old yellow rose. I assumed it probably was going to be Harrison's Yellow, but it is not. The blooms have a reddish base giving the roses an apricot coloration. It just started blooming here so it is early. Hansa, my earliest started blooming a couple days ago. I also noticed the blooms close up at night.

Here's some pics.

{{gwi:283858}}

{{gwi:283857}}

Thanks,

Remy

Comments (9)

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

Persian yellow.

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I don't believe it is. It has a faint nice rose smell, and the color is wrong.
    Here's some new pics without sun from this morning.

New bloom.
    {{gwi:283860}}

Old bloom.
    {{gwi:283861}}

Buds.
    {{gwi:283862}}

Here's a pic of the thorny base of the rose.
    {{gwi:249367}}
    Remy

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

Whether it is the correct identification or not others are showing what appears to be the same, orange-tinted flower on the internet as "Persian yellow". So that should be a starting point. Helpmefind mentions that a hybrid is being sold under the name in North America. Maybe at some point a hybrid, that picked up some redness and a better smell from the other parent was put on the market in its place.

The reddishness might also have something to do with R. foetida tending to sport orange-colored flowers, most noticeably in 'Bicolor'.

• lerosier3
    12 years ago

I am fairly confident the rose is Harison's Salmon but there is an outside chance it is Hardy Salmon a rose thought extinct.

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

HI Lerosier,
    I posted to the thread in the antique rose forum too. Here's what I wrote:
    Hi,
    I looked up Harrison's Salmon. So I did a petal count on the one good bloom I had. It had 20 petals which is too high for Harrison's Salmon which I read as 9-16. It has more blooms that will be opening so I will count some of them to see what an average is on the blooms.

Bboy,
    In trying to block the sun, the photos above may look like they are bright yellow/orangish, but they are not. They have a buttery apricot fading to pinky cream coloration to them. I posted other photos on the antique forum, but you probably did not see them. So here they are.
    {{gwi:283862}}

{{gwi:283860}}

{{gwi:283861}}

This rose may have Persian Yellow in its parentage, but it is not Persian Yellow. The color is wrong, but also the fragrance is wrong. Mine has a pleasant rose scent. Believe me I have enough roses to know if the fragrance was amiss.
    Remy

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, I'm loosing my mind. For some reason, I didn't think I re-posted the pics, but I did, LOL.
    Remy

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    12 years ago

Petal counts aren't always absolute, depending on the conditions, for a variety with a range of 9 - 16, one or two with 20 wouldn't be unusual.

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, that's what figured. So I'm going to count more of them to get a more accurate idea.
    Remy

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I happened to go the Delaware Park Rose Garden here at the right time. Their Persian Yellow rose was blooming and I can say with absolute certainty that they are not the same rose. The color was a much brighter yellow. The scent of the rosa foetida persiana was unmistakable. It smelled very odd to me. My SIL (without letting her know about it) said it smelled like food. The leaves of my rose are also slightly smaller. Here's a pic of the Rose Garden Rose.
    {{gwi:283863}}
    You can also see this rose has black spot already!
    Remy

Sponsored
Cellko Construction Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Licensed General Contractor Serving Loudoun County